This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Willi,

I'm slow on the up take on this thread. To answer your question, no, I've only seen the green backed eagles on tan/water field division jackets. But then I've only seen a couple of these, ever. If Jack gets this on it will be a nice addition!

I think the tropical eagle I posted is one of the newer reproductions. It's on a tunic a friend purchased that I don't like at all.

Best,
    John
    Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John,
      What makes you think the eagle is fake ??
      I've the same one on my jacket.
      I got this jacket 7+ years ago,so if these eagles appear to be fake it's not done now I think.
      I think these eagles are real or they fake them just like others very good !?

Regards,
      Jos.

Comment

Hi Jos,

Please don't make any decisions based on my opinion, I've been wrong many times before, and will be again. However, study this eagle and then look at Paul and Gene's shirt eagles. Notice how thick the wing feathers and swastika are embroidered on theirs. Now consider this eagle, the swas, is thin and crooked, the eagle's feathers and feet are thin too. There are gaps in the wing feathers where the tan shows through. I never saw tropical eagles like this over ten years ago. I can post some tropical tunic eagles later if you like. Also, this eagle is sewn to a tunic that I consider a reproduction. I never saw tunics of this material over ten years ago either. Ususally tunics are of a ribbed twill, or a smoother flat weave than this material is. I don't like the markings in this tunic, and it resembles several others that were at the MAX last year, all in unissued condition. Could many unissued trop. tunics have been discovered in storage somewhere of a type I never saw before, yes! Still, I would not have it in my collection.

Very best,
        John
        Attached Files
        Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Tropical tunic eagle

Hi again Jos,

From this thread it's clear that there are a lot of good variations in Luft. eagle designs. Here is a good tropical tunic eagle. It's backed on tunic twill, and was removed from a tunic. I still don't like the previous design I posted.

Best,
          John
          Attached Files
          Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hi John, Jos and others........

John, I still think that eagle is ok. Here are two photos (front and back) of the best reproduction tropical eagles made.......we use them for our FJ trop impression, on repro Luft trop tunics made in Mexico. These eagles cost $10 each........the best that money can buy.

Here is the front and back of 4 originals.

And here is the front of two eagles still sewn to trop tunics.

Seeing some of the best reproductions available is always helpful. That doesn't mean that they are the only style of reproduction out there, but does give you an idea of what they can do. As a re-enactor I do get to see the best reproductions, which has always helped me over the years.....

Willi
            Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

The backs of the 4 originals........

Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Hi Willi,

The repro you posted is good to see, but it's nothing like the ones I've seen on the excellent reproduction tropical shirts and tunics. Remember that dark 'greenish' tropical shirt you showed me last year? If you took a detail of that breast eagle it would be good to post here. If memory serves it was a more accurate reproduction than the one posted above.

Best,
                John
                Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Hey John,

Yes, I remember that shirt and it's eagle. Will check for photos. Yes, eagles made to fool collectors are much better than those made for the re-enacting market. The above eagle is made to sell cheaply for thr re-enactor market. That shirt and the repro Luft tunics (that we saw last year at the Max) are intended to fool collectors.....will have to see another to check out the eagle. The shirts that are made for re-enactors have nice eagles but not good enough to fool many. Have you seen any of those repro mint Luft trop tunics with paper tags since the Max? I have not.

Willi
                  Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi, a friend of mine ended up with one of the fake tropical tunics with manufacturer's tag on it. He bought it off of ebay earlier this year then had to fire sale it when he discovered his mistake. Took a beating on it, but was honest about its origin.

Comment

Jack, sorry to hear about your friend's misfortune. From pictures these tunics look very nice. As I was standing at a friend's table at the Max last year a guy brought one to us to authenticate. He had just paid $400 for it (mint and with tag), which would be a steal ( I wouldn't take less than $2000 for my mint one with tag). My friend told him he wasn't sure, but I told him it was bad........bad stamps, bad paper (was printed with a lazer copier). The feel, the smell, the eagle, the paint on the buttons were all suspicious. Then I saw several others at the show. They all sold at some point. Kinda frustrating as you try to help...there is always some one who thinks they found gold at the price of lead. Oh well........ Are you heading to the Max?

Willi
                      Willi

Preußens Gloria!

sigpic

Sapere aude

Comment

Willi, I am not doing the Max this year. I pretty well spent my budget on some hats a few months ago when a big Luft collector out in CA liquidated a good portion of his collection. Got some items that I'd have been very happy with if they had come from the Max. So, saving up for next year already! I'll see you at Gruber.

Comment

Shirt Eagle

Another shirt eagle for group comment--good or bad?
                          Attached Files

Comment

Reverse

Reverse.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Dirk,

I hate going first when the comment is negative....If you use Willi's 'two tones of thread on the reverse' as an indicator, then this one is already suspect.

I've never seen one like it before and I don't like it. This doesn't mean much, since Willi, Jos, and Gene have disagreed with me on eagles posted earlier on this thread. It certainly doesn't have the "classic" look of the one Paul posted with provenance or Gene's first tropical example.

very best,
                              John
                              Esse Quam Videri

Comment

OK

John- No problem. Debate on this one is good. I am not sure about it myself. Looking forward to Jos, Gene and Willi's input as well.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                                X