Blendspiegel/signal mirror questions ..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blendspiegel/signal mirror questions ..

After watching Harry's mirrors a old question came up ..

Did fighter pilots have a mirror or was it only part of the big bomber survival kit ?

Why this question ..
    Well, there's proof that it was part of the big planes, there's no proof ( as far as I know) that it was part of the single fighter equipment.

The Seenotfibel is rather clear about it, bomber crew used one, fighter pilot had none .. (page 40)

Another note, all luftwaffe mirrors I've seen apparently are missing the small device you could use to aim at planes.
    Seenotfibel shows one .. (page 26)

The English mirrors I've seen all had one attached to the mirror..
    Any thoughts ?

Jos.

Hi Jos!

I think that there's no reason that fighter guy doesn't carried one in its survival's equipment... Even if Seenotfibel is not clear about it, the situations in wich a downed pilot could be falling in are the same.. and both could need to use a signal mirror. A downed crew member have the same necessities to be rescue and signal where he is, both that he belong to the bombers or the fighters!

IMHO!

Take care!

Comment

I am with Frank.

But to be sure, ask our Seenot expert, fw_190.

Comment

Seems no more than logical. Agreed.

Comment

Why shoudnt Fighter pilots have a signal mirror?
          I think they have

Andy

Comment

....and the Kanalhosen have 3 lanyards - 1 for the flare gun, 1 for the gravity knife, and 1 for the mirror. I know kanalhosen were worn by crew of large aircraft, but more commonly by fighter pilots. Also, large aircraft stored the mirror in the survival kit, along with the farbbeutel, rations, leuchtpistole etc.

Comment

..another thought - can anyone translate the instructions on the mirror - do they mention using the aiming device specifically?
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Harry; 08-24-2012, 03:45 PM.

Comment

I have seen in a Der Adler number close ups of the stuff which is put in the Channel trousers. You see the Scho-Ka-Kola blue tin Jos isn't looking for (which is put in the Channel jacket breast pocket), the gravity knife and the dye marker. I am sure that some members have this Der Adler number and know what I am talking about.

The instructions on the mirror don't mention the use of the device sketched in the Seenotfibel.

Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                  I have seen in a Der Adler number close ups of the stuff which is put in the Channel trousers. You see the Scho-Ka-Kola blue tin Jos isn't looking for (which is put in the Channel jacket breast pocket), the gravity knife and the dye marker. I am sure that some members have this Der Adler number and know what I am talking about.

The instructions on the mirror don't mention the use of the device sketched in the Seenotfibel.

Pierre
                  Exactly ..
                  there's also a picture in Der Adler showing the flagpole etc ..

....... but there's no picture showing the mirror as a personal item !

Same in the Seenotfibel .., no mirror for fighter pilot, only one used by bomber crew, most probably the one from the survival kit ..
                  Although in comic style this Seenotfibel is very accurate.
                  Picture shows what a fighter pilot had, no more, no less IMO, no pump, no oars/paddles or what ever other things people think.
                  Maybe a Scho-ka-kola tin, but that's no equipment.
                  I personally still believe that the mirror was only part of the survival kit carried by bombers, but ofcourse I hope that someone can show me the opposite.
                  I just like to know these things, not assuming.

Jos.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 08-25-2012, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Here's a British mirror ..

These are all just observations and thoughts .

Jos.
                    Attached Files

Comment

don't forget any of the multiple crews flying on Recon and night fighter aircraft, they all had survival kits on-board especially over Sea.

Comment

luftwaffe signal mirror

Here's a photo of what appears to me to be a fighter pilot wearing a luftwaffe signal mirror attached to his life vest.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by der Feindflug View Post
                          Here's a photo of what appears to me to be a fighter pilot wearing a luftwaffe signal mirror attached to his life vest.

Comment

Excellent - this is what has been missing, the photographic evidence. It seems odd that only crew of larger aircraft would have one, as fighter pilots were just as likely to end up in the sea during the earlier years of the war. Maybe as the fight went more over mainland europe, and away from the channel coastline, there was less need for fighter pilots to carry one. I have a pic somewhere of what looks like one hanging from a lifevest also, but still trying to find it...

Comment

Jagdgeschwader Schlageter = JG 26 = Jäger

gruss
                              fw190

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X