'Great White' 4 real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'Great White' 4 real?

Recently listed on ebay, deal done before auction ended.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Great White

Appears to be one of the nice repros by S & M Wholesale Company. Several are on EBAY right now.

Comment

Hello, needs white sleeve buttons. Yes S&M, a company with a long history of fakery. Think thats a real RAPID zipp? If they are faking those its not a good sign for the future. Best, Bill

Comment

There're some small and large errors ..., think that's just fine ..

No cigar ..

Another long wait to see a real one ..

Hope seller didn't pay too much.

Jos.

Comment

different to those by S&M.. has a silk lining, and genuine wartime poppers and Rapid zip. IMO, the hardwear is all OK and the waistband is from a period sweater, but the actual jacket is repro. As Bill says, the correct sleeve cuff buttons are white, the large blue glass version are on the later Blue and Tan summer versions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jos Le Conté View Post

Hope seller didn't pay too much.

Jos.
                I bet the seller didn't pay much at all, but the buyer apparently paid in excess of €6K
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                  I bet the seller didn't pay much at all, but the buyer apparently paid in excess of €6K
                  Sorry, did mean buyer, my fault ..

6K for a $ 250.- jacket ? ...
                  That's quite some profit ...

I think most of the jacket is postwar, the zipper is close, but not the same one..
                  Construction of the jacket isn't right either .
                  The lining is odd and poorly sewn, plus some other facts concerning the lining, collar is the wrong size etc, etc..

I saw this seller, think he also had a fake signal mirror with home-made pouch etc..

Jos.
                  Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 05-24-2010, 06:03 PM.

Comment

I was watching this auction for a few days (like most of you probably) and assumed it was a repro, but wasn't totally sure. Any idea what the lining was like on the originals, that was one of the things I did not like on this one?

Jos, do you have any period items with "STOCKO" snaps? if so, can you compare to the ones on this jacket, are they the same or also reproduced to look like the originals?

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                      Jos, do you have any period items with "STOCKO" snaps? if so, can you compare to the ones on this jacket, are they the same or also reproduced to look like the originals?
                      They are faked, yes, just like glass buttons, zippers.., but no need to prove here, this jacket has too many issues, more than a handful plus a major error.., but better to keep all these things quiet.

A hardly used white jacket, while these were fashion clothes ..., makes you wonder the 1st minute ..

Besides that a original would find its way to a collector without putting it on Ebay, think there're quite some takers when the news is spread.
                      Think seller even mentioned " the great white " or something, reason to believe that he knows how rare a original is, you can sell it at every street corner for any price as a matter of speaking.
                      Too good to be true, but they're working on it, especially when people are willing to pay a load, without knowing what they're buying.
                      I really feel for the guy who bought it.

I would give some money to see the 1st real one in my entire life.... , and then I think it would also be the last one ..

Jos.
                      Last edited by Jos Le Conté; 05-24-2010, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Hello, it also looks like the edge of the left collar where the button hole slits are, its intentionally blurred. A pic of that area would be helpfull. Wrong weave on the collar. Also where the breast eagle is supposed to be as these all had eagles applied when made and pic of the O2 hose strap. Got to admire the effort to make but curse the reason. Best, Bill

Comment

I have never seen an original one (obviously!!!), but the lininig is not as supposted as would be... The whole looking is not the worst.. but there's something that scream faaaaaaaakeeeee!!!!!!!!!

@Jos: you think that the zipp is a repro?

Cheers!

Comment

As these white jackets were fashion items, as Jos stated, and therefore most probably also privately taylored IMO, how could You be sure about the manufacturing details?

Comment

Hi there!

You're right you too... I think that the jacket wasn't privately tailored (IMHO too!)... anyway also if some things is very nicely reproducted, there's something in the whole jacket and particolary that doesn't send a good vibration... I didn't like the lining, the close up of the white cotton, the black glass buttons, the way they're sewn, the way as the lining (in the cuff too) shine, and so on...

It's true that you couldn't be sure about the manifacturing details.. but IMHO I wouldn't in my collection (I have not 6k USD, also!!!!!!!).

Cheers!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X