Recon unit history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recon unit history

I just recently bought a 1st model Luft dagger that was brought in by the veteran's son that brought it home.

Under the cross guard is engraved A G 115.

I was told it was a recon unit, but how do you find out the history of the unit? I have tried but all that comes up are different types of aircraft.

Thank you in advance for any info.

Bob
    Attached Files
    "Militaria shows are a social event for anti-social people"--A.T. 2008

ASMIC Executive President

Aufklärungsgruppe 115
    Gruppenkommandeure:
    • Obstlt Karl Barlen(?), 1 Jan 1936 - 1 Mar 1936
    • Maj Albert Muller-Kahle, 1 Mar 1936 - 1 Oct 1937
    Stab:
    Formed 1 Jan 1936 in Göppingen.
    On 1 Oct 1937 redesignated Stab/Aufkl.Gr.15.
    Airfields and Air Base Locations
    1 Apr 1936 - 1 Oct 1937 Göppingen He 45, He 46
    1.(H)/115:
    Formed 1 Jan 1936 in Göppingen from 1./Aufkl.Gruppe 315.
    On 1 Oct 1937 redesignated 1./Aufkl.Gr.15.
    1 Jan 1936 - 1 Oct 1937 Göppingen He 45, He 46
    2.(H)/115:
    Formed 1 Jan 1936 in Göppingen from 2./Aufkl.Gruppe 315.
    On 1 Oct 1937 redesignated 2./Aufkl.Gr.15.
    1 Jan 1936 - 1 Oct 1937 Göppingen He 45, He 46
    3.(H)/115:
    Formed 1 Oct 1936 in Göppingen.
    On 1 Oct 1937 redesignated 3./Aufkl.Gr.15.
    1 Oct 1936 - 1 Oct 1937 Göppingen He 45, He 46

Comment

Thank you.

After October of 1937 did they get redesignated or just disbanded?

I am good with US research and Vietnamese, but German I always strike a wall.

While I was looking into this one a buddy had said he just bought one and was trying to figure out it's meaning. Could someone let me know what type of unit it is?

Thanks in advance.
      Bob
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi Bob,

They became Aufkl. Gr. 15 after October 1937.

Flg. H. Kp. Stade = FliegerHorst Kompanie Stade. Airfield Command Company Stade.

Cheers

Bob

Comment

Thank you

Comment

This might be of some interest too Bob, in regard to Stade airfield...

Stade airfield (German: flugplatz Stade or Fliegerhorst Stade) was an airfield 285 west-northwest of
            Berlin.

It's construction began in the spring of 1935, disguised as a civilian project. The first occupants arrived as early as October 1935 when the first students of the Fliegerersatzabteilung 47 (Pilot Replacement Unit 47) began thair course. First use was that of a multi-engine piloting school in 1936 and a second training unit arrived at the airfield in 1937 from Ludwigslust, bringing their Junkers Ju52 and Ju86, Dornier Do17, Focke-Wulf Fw56 and Fw58 aircraft. In 1939 a new large hangar and the first concrete runway (Startbahn II) was built.
            After the beginning of the war in 1939, the training units were withdrawn to the east in
            Brandenburg. In November, they were replaced with night fighters, which stayed for a few weeks.
            In April 1940, air transport aircraft filled with parachutists and mountain troops flew from Stade to begin the occupation of
            Norway.
            In 1941, night-fighters of II./NJG1 were stationed here, making Stade an important part of the defense against Alllied strategic bombers. Although II./NJG1 left after some time, Stade was never really long without nightfigthers after this first prolonged stay. It is during this period that the second runway (Statbahn III) was built. Construction of the Northerly runway ('Startbahn I') was begun, but for unknown reasons it was never completed.
            On 18 April 1945 all flyable aircraft were flown to Uetersen, the remainder and the facilities were destroyed. The occupation by the British from 1 May 1945 left some surprises for the British: due to the fast Soviet advance, the commander of the E-Stelle (Erprobungsstelle or "Evaluation Unit") at Werneuchen) was ordered by the Oberkommando dere Luftwaffe (OKL) to evacuate equipment to Stade. As a result, the British discovered amongst others a camouflaged and incomplete Ju-248 V.1 prototype (a reworked Me163 rocket powered interceptor with landing gear instead of a retractable skid) at the airfield.

Comment

Flight control tower at Stade, photographed in 1946. Apparently it survived until around 2011...

Cheers

Bob
              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X