Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luftwaffe Cigarette Case

Greetings All,

I've been in poor health for some time and was recently able to make it to my first gun show in over a year. While loitering around the front door and catching up with old friends (swapping lies about women, hunting, and fishing mostly), this interesting silver cigarette case walked in with a young man who looked to be in his 60's. I gave it a look over and generally liked what I saw enough to ask if he was looking to sell or trade it. He said he was and upon being asked where he'd come across it, he said his father brought it home while on occupation duty in post-war Germany. Not sure about the story of course but at least he didn't try to say his dad had taken it from Goring's pocket or something like that. Anyway, I don't know much about these types of items, but I do know that they are often suspect, highly reproduced, and prone to be post-war put together pieces. With all that in mind, I made the man an offer on par with my hesitations regarding authenticity. He agreed, so now I'm showing it here to see what you folks think.

As far as I can tell, the case appears to be well made and the silver stamping is genuine. The Luftwaffe eagle looks too nice and detailed to be a cheap reproduction. The question of course is whether the cigarette case joined the Luftwaffe during the war or afterward.

Regards,

Z

In doing a bit of research, it appears that the silver hallmark on this case belongs to the German silver firm of Jakob Grimminger from Schwabish Gmund. I have attached an image of their hallmark from a source on antique silverware.

Apparently Jakob Grimminger established his silver firm in 1893 and by the 1930's it had a very good reputation for producing quality silver products.

I found this interesting because Jakob Grimminger (1892-1969) was also the standard bearer of the Blood Flag. I wonder if there is a family connection?

Comment

To me, a postwar fantasy piece. Maybe made for GIs on occupation duty in the 50s
      WAF LIFE COACH

Comment

Originally posted by Gene View Post
        To me, a postwar fantasy piece. Maybe made for GIs on occupation duty in the 50s
        Gene,

That's certainly possible and I automatically tend to lean that way myself anytime these types of items pop up. It's very easy to take a silver case, embellish it with a piece of military insignia, and sell it to a souvenir hunting GI. Any thoughts on the origins of the eagle itself? Is it an actual piece of Luftwaffe insignia such as a cap or tunic eagle that has been attached to the case? I've compared it to a few metal eagles in my collection and it seems to be a bit more detailed than most.

Comment

the construction is on par with early pieces.
          The eagle is a dead on ringer for one of the Luft. private purchase rings.
          The silver mark is right.
          Quality good..
          There is no 100% for a piece like that unless you see the exact piece in a period advertisement [which is possible].. You will probably get a wide variety of opinions.. I like it myself...........

Comment

The eagle is very nice quality.. Not just poorly pinned to a bare case.. Wood lined within silver frame.. Plenty of authentic cases made the exact way..

- heres the ring,,and period ad....
            Attached Files

Comment

Gaspare,

Thank you for the comments and the image you posted for comparison. I had not thought to compare the eagle to those found on Luftwaffe rings but that makes sense and there are definite similarities between the style you show and the eagle on the top of this cigarette case. In hand, I could tell that the case itself and silver hallmark were genuine. The quality of the eagle gave me pause to consider that this might be more than an entirely modern reproduction. So I made the guy a price based just on what I'd be comfortable paying for a decent silver cigarette case and if it turned out to be just that, I'm fine. If it turned out to be something nicer, bully for me. As you said, with something like this, short of solid provenance, it is an item that you either decide you like or you decide you don't like. I certainly like what I paid for it, I really like the eagle and do not believe that it is a post-war fabrication, but I have no way to judge when the eagle and case were married together.

Regards,

Z

Comment

Agree with Gene, good case, up-graded with a eagle close to a 1 model luftwaffe cap eagle..
                This cap eagle is often used on silver cups etc, to make some easy money.

Jos
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Jos L C; 08-11-2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Jos,

Thank you for the image. That is indeed very close to the eagle on this case. I'd be curious to compare measurements and see if a good 1st Model Luft Cap Eagle is indeed what has been attached to the lid of this cigarette case.

The eagle on the lid measures 2 1/8 inches from wingtip to wingtip. I think that's about 54 mm. Measuring vertically from the space between the wings to the bottom tip of the swastika is exactly 1 inch or 25.5 mm.

Would this be considered a "droop tail" eagle?

Regards,

Z

Comment

Yes, it's a droop tail.. eagle on the case a casting of such eagle, I personally think post war added, just like those soldered on the silver cups and other goodies..
                    Cigarette cases are a minefield, too many have been up-graded with all kinda emblems and engravings, same with the finger rings, loads of reproductions or fantasy pieces.

Jos

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X