Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SD2 Butterfly - what to do?

Hi,

I suspect I know the answer before I ask the question!

For over 50 years of collecting, one item I've always wanted after reading "A Cold-Blooded Business" as a schoolboy was an SD2 Butterfly Bomb in as best condition as possible.

I've always preferred "Mint" to "Seen Action" every time.

Three years ago I was offered the SD2 in the accompanying photo. While it is indeed a fine piece I still strive for a better one! The wings are very good but the lack of paint on the bomb does let it down.

While I wait for "the offer I can't refuse" would it be the wrong thing to do to give the bomb a light touch-up!

It is only a thought but I suspect the answer is "leave it alone"! I had been waiting months for news of an SD2 in yellow paint but sadly that one was a repaint so I rejected it - I think I've just answered myself!

They say it helps to talk things over so forgive my ramblings.

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards,

Grossfuss
    Attached Files

It is hard to tell from that photo just how much original paint remains on the bomb body. If there is a fair amount of paint, I would leave it alone. However, if rust and corrosion make up the majority of the finish, if it were mine, I would "consider" repainting it.

The decision to restore is always a tough one to make. Out my entire collection, I have only repainted 2 items: 1) my Russian Andyusha rocket, because it was nothing but rust and corrosion covered; and 2) My panzerschreck, but only because someone had painted it entirely flat black.

If I remember correctly, you don't just need a nice condition yellow bomb body, you need an early version with the thread for the fuze, correct?
    Last edited by WWIIBuff; 04-11-2019, 03:13 AM.

Comment

SD2 Butterfly

Hi WWIIBuff,

Well remembered sir!

Yes, my bomb has the screw-in fuze - for better view of condition see added photo.

Regards,

Grossfuss
      Attached Files

Comment

Yes, I remember. I am still keeping my eyes open for a nice bomb body for you.

Based on that picture, I personally would have no problem with that being restored.

Comment

SD2 Butterfly

Hi,

Many thanks for that - I'll definitely give it some thought!

Meanwhile still looking for that better specimen.

Regards,

Grossfuss

Comment

I'll let you know if I come across a better specimen for you, and maybe you can keep watch for a really nice green one for me. I need one to go with this set of wings, but may paint one of my rust covered bodies in the meantime.
            Attached Files

Comment

SD2 Butterfly

What a super set of "banana" wings - that's one colour scheme I find extremely attractive!

Thanks for the photo.

Grossfuss

Comment

Why do you call them "banana" wings, the yellow stripe?

Comment

SD2 Butterfly

Hi,

I'm sure the collector who sold me my bomb used the term once - I'm referring to the bracket on the circular end wings, quite a different shape to the smaller rectangular fitting on my bomb.

Is there a date stamp on your wings? I'm wondering if this is an earlier type?

As well as the more robust curved bracket it looks like the spring is retained by a cheese-head screw rather than a domed-head rivet - compare it with your others.

All the best,

Grossfuss

Comment

OK, that's the first time I have heard that term, but I will remember it for the future.

4 of mine have the small clip and the springs are retained by the dome-head pins. 3 of them are dated 1941. I could not find a date on the 4th one, but it is mounted to the wall so I could not look closely.

2 others have the "banana" bracket on the round flap wings, and instead of the pin, the springs are retained by slot-head screws. I could not find dates on either of those (one is the green one above, and the other a yellow one).

The yellow one with the banana bracket came complete with fuze, spindle, and bomb body. It was a war-time souvenir brought back complete by a veteran. The bomb body has the later bayonet attachment, so I do not think the banana clip had anything to do with it being an earlier set of wings.

Unfortunately my friend Kev Hinson, who was probably the foremost authority on butterfly bombs, passed away a few years ago. Were he still around, he could have answered these questions for us.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by WWIIBuff; 04-18-2019, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X