US 6" Naval round?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US 6" Naval round?

Forum members, In my travels, I came across what I believe is a US 6" Naval projectile.....It appears to be unfinished though, as the opening for the fuse is untapped (no threads).....The brass drive band is also there, but not chamfered.....I'm guessing WW2 vintage, but it is completely unmarked and in it's raw state....Was never painted.....Weighs at least 60 lbs.....The length is 20" from the bottom of the drive band to the top flat where a fuse would rest...The bottom below the drive band is tapered and measures 5" in diameter....Just curious the collectibility of something this big and heavy?....I can have it for $75, but don't want something that I would never be able to sell in the future.....Any thoughts appreciated as usual....Bodes

BTW...Also curious as to information pertaining to this round.....I cannot find much information concerning them on the internet.....

http://bulletpicker.com/pdf/USNBD%20...rojectiles.pdf

From page 117 to page 134

Comment

Originally posted by klarkon View Post
      Thanks klarkon, Know of any photos of a 6" round?.....Also did these use a shell casing?.....Bodes

Comment

some type of 6" guns used shell case (Mark 4: Brass, 152 x 970 mm, 28.2 lbs. (12.8 kg)
        Mark 4 Modified: Brass, 152 x 635 mm, ), some types used bag charge.

Comment

Thanks again Klarkon.....The photo you show is not like the one I saw....The one I saw has a more pronounced tapered metal "stub" below the brass drive band....The body above the band is about 6" in diameter......The stub tapers down to 5" diameter and is about 3" in length.....That's why I inquired about shell casings.....Seems the taper would facilitate this process......Also the band is one pieced, not grooved like the one in the photo.....It's also lacking any cavity for a base fuze......

I wonder if it's non-American?.....Post WW2?....Bodes

Comment

Unfotunately it appears to be an M-107, 155mm howitzer round.....And since it's likely fairly common, I won't pay more than scrap metal price for it....Oh well, on to my next (mis) adventure......Bodes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X