88 mm Panzer Granate 39

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

88 mm Panzer Granate 39

I believe that this is a Panzer Granate 39 with a C12 Primer which was used in 88mm Flak Guns rather than an 88 KWK is that correct ?

Regards

Paul
    Attached Files

shell case and C12 Primer
    Attached Files

Comment

The Shell itself
      Attached Files

Comment

8,8cm PzGr. ; 8,8cm PzGr.39 ; PzGr.39-1
        These shells are used in the Famous 8,8cm Flak 18/36 L/56 gun, also used in the Tiger1 tank as the Kwk36 L/56.

The main difference between the Flak18/36 shell and the KwK.36 shell is the primer in the shellcase that is used. The Flak18/36 uses the C/12 n.A. or C/12n.A.St. (steel) firing pin activated primer, as where the KwK.36 uses the electric primed C22 or C22 St. primer. Therefore, the cartridges are not interchangable in spite of the fact that it is the only difference between the two shells. When the shells are meant for the KwK.36 tankgun, the text “8,8cm KwK.36” is printed on the shellcase. The steel shellcase has a C12n.A.St. primer, the brass shellcase has a C12 n.A. primer. So shell in your picture is meant for the Flak 18/36 gun.

Both PzGr. shells exist of a carbon steel body, pointed at the nose, with a flat base. The nose of the projectile is hardened. Both shells have a piercing cap with a remarkable round nose, made of mild steel. This cap prevents the hardened nose from shattering on impact (devides the impact force over the entire nose) and prevents the shell from bouncing off the target when hitting at lower angles.
        Both shells have a ballistic cap to reduce drag, and so prevent loss of speed over greater distances.

The main difference between both AP shells is in the size of the exploder cavity, the 8,8cm PzGr. (older type) has a larger exploder cavity with a large fuze (BdZ. F. 8,8cm Pzgr), the (later type) PzGr.39 and PzGr.39-1 have a small exploder cavity with a smaller fuze (BdZ. 5127 f. Pzgr39). When placed on a shellcase, the outer appearance of both shells is exactly the same. To prevent confusion, the 8,8cm Pzgr. projectile was painted black , the Pzgr39 (-1) had the upper 40mm of the ballistic cap painted white. For the Pzgr 39-1, a large 1 was stencilled , just below the white tip on the ballistic cap. The main difference between the PzGr.39 and the PzGr. 39-1 was that the PzGr.39-1 was made of a better quality steel (harder and tougher).

Comment

Hello Klarkon,

Many thanks for your very detailed reply and the attached information .

I think this one must be the older type larger exploder cavity with a large fuze (BdZ. F. 8,8cm Pzgr) .

The guy who wants to sell it said it was the first type .

Regards

Paul

Comment

Photo of the round itself , large exploder cavity ?
            Attached Files

Comment

Yours is 8.8cm Pzgr.39 ............ compare drawings

Comment

Comment

Again many thanks for your answer and wonderful information and comparisons , this is so helpful .

I wouldn't usually ask this question but as i have very little knowledge about them , what would be the value of this in this condition ?

Regards

Paul

Comment

Unfortunately, I do not know the price.......

My own 8,8cm rounds I personally dugout.........

Comment

Okay thanks , where did you find your round ?

Comment

These were found near Ostrava
                        Ostrava-Opava operations in 1945...... THE BLOODIEST WWII BATTLE on Czech republic territory.

Comment

Anyone else got an idea of the value of this Flak round ?

Comment

The case is not that valuable in that condition. The projectile is worth about 100 Euro in Europe and $400 in the US.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X