Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Gewehr Panzer Granate 61 versions nomenclature

Hey Guys,

As far as I know, both versions of the SS Gewehr Panzer Granate 61 had the same name, and no distinction was made between them. Is that correct?

For reference in my database I refer to them as SS.G.Pz.Gr.61r for the round top version (r = rund), and SS.G.Pz.Gr.61s for the pointed version (s = spitz), but I am curious if the SS did make any distinction between them?

Also, does anyone have any training manuals or diagrams that show these that you can post?

Thanks

John
    Attached Files

Hi,
    As described here: https://www.lexpev.nl/grenades/europ...any/index.html in the rifle grenade section you may find the two links to the Gew.Pz.gr 46 and 61 model.
    That's all the info I can found.
    Regards

Comment

Thanks Bruno. I am familiar with the content on that website, but there is no information about these grenades, only a couple pictures.

The website inert-ord.net has a little bit of information, and a few more pictures, but nothing that specifically talks about the two different variants.

I am also wondering which version was made first, the rounded or pointed one. Or were they both made at the same time?

Comment

as far as I know the round head is later production as the pointed head had issues when hitting a target in an angle. So the design was changed to the round head.

This is Information I got from collectors mouth. No proof.

Comment

Thanks for that information Martin!

Comment

SS GPzGr

One in that condition is bad enough but two? That's more than a man can stand!

Regards,

Grossfuss

Comment

Originally posted by Grossfuss View Post
              One in that condition is bad enough but two? That's more than a man can stand!

Regards,

Grossfuss

LOL!!! And to think that I almost did not buy them because I already have a set. What was I thinking?
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bergler View Post
                as far as I know the round head is later production as the pointed head had issues when hitting a target in an angle. So the design was changed to the round head.

This is Information I got from collectors mouth. No proof.
                Some more Information here from my side:

I got a couple of SS GG 61 recently (more than only those 2), both versions (round and pinted head). Inspecting them closely I discovered something very interesting:

- Both grenades made in the same year (1944). So the Information above (round head late war, pointed head earlier) is incorrect

- Both have same manufacturer ("dot") and same WaA (63)

- BUT: there is a clear distinction on the markings, and this is on all ecxamples I have here:
                pointed head: dot 1a 44
                round head: dot 2a 44

To me it seems that the manufacturer distinguishes between model 1a (pointed) and model 2a (round)!

If you wnat, have a look on your items and see if that is the case. I guess it will be. The markings can be found on the shaft.
                Attached Files

Comment

Nice find Martin, but unfortunately I do not think those numbers make a distinction between the two different models. If those were the only numbers found, I would agree with you, but as you can see from my pictures below, there are more numbers to be found on these:

Picture 1 = dot 1b 44 - Round head

Picture 2 = dot 1d 44 - Pointed head

Picture 3 = dot 1c 44 = Pointed head

I also checked my SS.G.Pz.Gr.46, but it does not have any markings on it at all.

What I am curious about are the characters, letters, numbers, or symbols that appear after the manufactured/date markings. I cannot make out what these are, although the first one almost looks like an "R" and a small "2". R = Rund?
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by WWIIBuff; 12-25-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Behind the manufactured/date markings is The rest of Waffenamt 63, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by klarkon View Post
                      Behind the manufactured/date markings is The rest of Waffenamt 63, I think.

Ah yes, now I recognize that on a couple of them.

Comment

on mine (7 pieces) there is WaA63 clearly marked. I was not aware that there is a, b, c, and d (and else?) in the number bloc. I thought my theory (a for pointed, b for round tip) was magnificent, but shuttered to pieces within seconds. What a Desaster ;-)

But that is what it makes it interesting as well, not everything clear and in books and referenced and all. Still room for exploration!

Comment

It was a good theory Martin, and I wish it had worked out. I think yours is the only one with a number 2 so far, but what that meant, we may never know.

But I think the most impressive part of your last post is the fact that you said you have 7 of these!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WWIIBuff View Post
                            It was a good theory Martin, and I wish it had worked out. I think yours is the only one with a number 2 so far, but what that meant, we may never know.

But I think the most impressive part of your last post is the fact that you said you have 7 of these!!!
                            Yes, 3 ponted and 4 round heads. The ting is that the round heads seem to be of thinner material and always have some holes. Or bigger holes. Very hard to find a round one with no Problem on it.....

Comment

My second rounded grenade is also of thinner material with holes in it. The two minty examples I posted above are heavier and seem to be made out of a thicker material, but yet they are dated 1944, so I do not think they are earlier examples.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X