Artillery Shell Headface Marks for ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artillery Shell Headface Marks for ID

This brass shell casing was cut down to approximately 18 cms. high. The diameter across the headface is approx. 114 mm and 103 mm across the body of the shell casing. I have had no success in researching the markings which appear on the headface, with the exception that it appears to date from 1936.

I would appreciate assistance with identifying the country of origin of this shell, the calibre and manufacturer - please.

Thanks for looking. All feedback will be appreciated.

John
    Attached Files

Czech M14/19 100mm howitzer used by Germans in WWII. Most famous battery was four guns at Merville, France over looking British Sword landing beach at Normandy.

Comment

Czech shell case original dimensions : 100 x 182R, rim dia.: 115,2mm
      Manufacturer R = Továrna na nábojky a kovové zboží a.s., Rokycany (near Pilsen)
      P lion 36 = inspection mark ZTÚ Rokycany ( Zbrojně technický úřad ) year 1936
      Primer : bxb = "Aktiengesellschaft vormals Skodawerke, Pilsen" under german occupation

Comment

You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for your most helpful feedback!

Comment

I just learned that the person from whom the shell casing was obtained lived in the Channel Islands. Perhaps the Germans used such ordnance during their occupation there.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X