Is this some sort of water mine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this some sort of water mine?

Some sort of mine I assume, but what type?
    Attached Files

I don't know what kind of artifact a scharfer sprengkörper really is but I have found this in the internet:

https://reibert.info/threads/kakie-to-miny.638459/

Carles
    Attached Files

Comment

looks more like a little bomb...never seen before...looks like bakelit

Comment

Originally posted by me6_130 View Post
        I don't know what kind of artifact a scharfer sprengkörper really is but I have found this in the internet:

https://reibert.info/threads/kakie-to-miny.638459/

Carles
        Thanks for this Charles, you were able to find more than I could.

I translated the thread on that forum as best I could, and it does not seem that there was any definite conclusion as to what those items are. I believe there was reference to a fuze being seen in the other pictures, and ultimately it was called an Ersatz Grenade. The samples on that site were found in the Kurland area.

The seller of this item said it was produced very late in the war, and your are correct Jens, it is made from bakelite and seems to have a lead weight in the nose. He has not quoted me a price for it yet, but before he does I'd like to figure out what it is. I don't even know if it is anything collectable or for sure an ordnance item.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by WWIIBuff; 09-09-2017, 05:13 PM.

Comment

It is a water depth measurement device.
          These are known as a Freilot, Falllot or Electrolot devices. They were dropped into the water, where they sank at a constant, known speed and detonated when impacting the ocean floor. An underwater listening device picked up the sound waves and from this data, the ocean depth could be calculated.

Comment

Just out of curiosity how big are they?

Comment

Comment

Overall lenght : 171,5 mm
                Diameter of body : 35,7 mm

Comment

many thanks klarkon, very interesting...the company who built this is still in progress, ELAC Kiel, still manufacturing accustic equipment

Comment

Thanks Klarkon. Mystery solved.

Comment

Klarkon, Great info, thanks

Comment

Interesting item and thread guys.
                        It would be interedting to know in what context the ground dug specimens were found.

JL

Comment

I agree with JL, it would be interesting to know where they were found, because it doesn't seem to be in a costal or Navy context, but rather in trenches or so.

I'm happy because I've learnt something new

Carles

Comment

According to the seller, these were found buried near the beach in Latvia.

By the way, I am not going to buy this item, so if someone else is interested in it, send me a PM and I will give you the sellers contact information.

Comment

Well, that sounds logical with the kind of item it is. No interest for me either, thanks anyhow.

Carles
                              Last edited by me6_130; 09-14-2017, 02:21 AM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X