Proper 3" round shell casing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper 3" round shell casing

Forum members, I have a 3" inch round I purchased a few years ago.....It was marked as being a navy round when I found it.....It's an AP round with green paint and has GMC (Gun Motor Carriage), 3 Inch, & 1943 stamped on the bottom.....Nothing stamped on the brass band.....Through my research, I found this round was used by both the army and the navy.....The navy using different normenclature (3") than that of the army (76mm)......I'm thinking this may be a projectile for the M10 Tank Destroyer....And if that is the case, what shell casing would be proper?.....The M26 76mm shell or one marked 3-inch, Mk.I M2 of Mk.II M2?.....Any help appreciated...Bodes

We located some 3" shell casings in the Ardennes back in 1991, they were undoubtably from an American M10.

Comment

Comment

76mm

3" inch

Comment

Simon, thanks for infomation, however you don't specify which projectile was used.....If akin to mine, I would assume it'd be marked 3" on the head?.....

Klarkon, my 3" AP is the capped type identical to the navy round.....Seems to me however, the head on those were designated m29 IIRC...... And according to your information the 3" is designated m62a1, which uses an m26 shell casing.....What I need to ascertain is whether mine is that projectile.....Bodes

Comment

Originally posted by bodes View Post
            Simon, thanks for infomation, however you don't specify which projectile was used.....If akin to mine, I would assume it'd be marked 3" on the head?.....

Klarkon, my 3" AP is the capped type identical to the navy round.....Seems to me however, the head on those were designated m29 IIRC...... And according to your information the 3" is designated m62a1, which uses an m26 shell casing.....What I need to ascertain is whether mine is that projectile.....Bodes

Just to add, this can certainly be of importance....The designation "M 62" is also stamped on the bottom.....Don't know whether or not this is the same round as the "M 62 A1" or an earlier one?......Bodes

Comment

Here's a thread with identical round.....Mine however is missing plug and free of explosives.......Bodes

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=183671

Comment

Klarkon, The information you posted gives me the impression either casing will work....The projectiles themselves (3" and 76mm) are interchangable....Shell casing dictates application, and because of different configurations, makes the complete rounds non-interchangable.....Thanks, Bodes

Comment

Another info about 3-inch AP rounds

Comment

Klarkon, Another interesting post.....It appears the M62 and M62A1 are the same projectile, the exception being the nose cone (windshield)....The manner in which the cone is crimped on and it's weight have been upgraded on the latter......Bodes

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X