Market for 1000lb Bombs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market for 1000lb Bombs?

Hello, I have found a couple bombs that are coming up in a local auction. I have no interest in ordnance but I was wondering if there's a market for them. If I got them I would list them on the forum. Also in one of the barns there seems to be a 500lb bomb.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by Relic Jäger View Post
    Hello, I have found a couple bombs that are coming up in a local auction. I have no interest in ordnance but I was wondering if there's a market for them. If I got them I would list them on the forum. Also in one of the barns there seems to be a 500lb bomb.
    I live near an AF base ... would be neat to stick one of these head first into the ground in my front yard.

Comment

I like them!

Comment

Thank you for the responses. What do you think their retail value are? I just want to know how much to pay once Im at the auction.

Comment

I like them but the postage would be expensive

Comment

I, too, find these very large (inert) bombs to be fascinating and would enjoy adding one to my collection. IMO the main issue in reselling them will be the weight and size issues and how those facts impact shipping options and expense.

Hopefully you can pick them up on the cheap (maybe no more than $100 or so each). If so, that should give you room to resell them at a profit, but still at a reasonable price so that a non-local buyer can afford to absorb the transportation costs.

Also, another fact that I think you need to consider is that because these items are so large (and, I assume, heavy), there will be less collectors willing to purchase them due to the fact that not all collectors have adequate display space for such items.

BTW: Any idea what these things weigh? How thick are the walls of the bomb casings?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
              BTW: Any idea what these things weigh? How thick are the walls of the bomb casings?
              Yes, they seem to be USAAF General Purpose Bombs

The 1000lb bomb is a AN-M65 with an empty weight of 470lb and the 500lb is a AN-M65 with an empty weight of 238lb.

They seem to be rather rusty and have lost their green paint with yellow bands !

Comment

I would love these to display

Comment

Has the auction sale taken place? If so, what were the results as to the inert bombs?

Comment

http://slideplayer.hu/slide/11311528/

http://www.expozice-ralsko.estranky....e-pumy-usa.pdf

Comment

Hello!!
                      nice Bombs...
                      I might be interested in an AN-M65
                      This model was in use during World War II ??
                      Mattia

Comment

Sorry but the auction has already taking place. I didn't end up going but a friend of mine did. He said the 1000's sold for $350 a piece and the 500 sold for $200. I was worried if I got them the shipping would be a nightmare and I would lose money.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X