German LIgr.Z23nA fuze technical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German LIgr.Z23nA fuze technical question

What are The sort of little cogs that can be seen in the front of German LIgr.Z23nA fuzes? Considering their shape, I was wondering if it is some sort of safety system, the cogs tilting to the side with centrifugal force once the shell is fired, enabling another piece to move and arming the shell.
    Does anyone know for sure, and are there any good illustrations shwing how these work?

Thanks

JL
    Attached Files

With a bit of searching, it looks like I have managed to answer my own question. It looks like the "centrifugal flaps (Fliehklappe, piece 6)" opening up allows the firing pin to be put into contact with the initial detonating charge.
    If anyone has anything else to say about this, I would be interested.

JL
    Attached Files

Comment

What is the Bandfeder supposed to be? I assume a spring that keeps the centrifugal cogs in place and prevents them from moving except when a very strong force is applied such as the centrifugal force after firing?

JL
      Attached Files

Comment

Sorry for my poor english.

Centrifugal flaps are the most commonly used safety device of artillery fuzes mid and large calibers. The construction of this locking mechanism consisted in mechanical locking of the firing pin against the primer. Centrifugal forces of rotating ammunition were used to unlock. Depending on the size and type of the fuze, the number of flaps varied. Four, five or six flaps were commonly used. The special shape of the flaps, which moved on the pins when unlocking, ensured their gradual opening. To prevent unlocking during transport, storage or charging, the safety mechanism has been supplemented with a flexible safety tape. This metall tape embraced the flaps around their perimeter and pulled them to the fuze's axis. The tape secured the flaps even on the initial phase of shoot in the barrel. Then flaps were also braked by a friction inside of the fuze body or by the action of parts of fuze on the flaps themselves.

Comment

Thanks for this great and very detailed drawing. I didnt notice that only one of the cogs can rotate at a time, like dominos falling. Its amazing how much precision work went into each one of these fuzes, and then they would fire thousands upon thousands of them in a single day.

What was a piece of wood used to transmit the impact to the firing pin? My guess is that wood was used because it is slightly elastic, so would not get jammed when the fuze would get deformed by impact. Am I correct?

JL

Comment

Here is another technical question. I have never understood what the second "powder train (the one on top where the letters K and M are)" in these US time fuzes was for?

JL

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to post the illustration going with that last question.
              Attached Files

Comment

The upper ring is fixed, the lower ring is movable to adjust the time.
                http://www.passioncompassion1418.com...RevolvingDisks

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                  Here is another technical question. I have never understood what the second "powder train (the one on top where the letters K and M are)" in these US time fuzes was for?

JL
                  The German fuze has the same thing with the O and M position screw. With and without delay.

PC

Comment

Paul C - Jean-Loup did not ask about it :-) :-)

Comment

"The upper ring is fixed, the lower ring is movable to adjust the time."

If I understand correctly from reading that link, basicaly one ring wasnt sufficient to get something like 15 seconds of powder train delay, so the other ring is on top, to have a longer powder train? And the numbers written on the lower ring are calculated to include the time of combustion of the powder in the upper ring of course.
                      Is that correct?

Paul with the M and O it is yet another story, the delay being only a very brief one to enable the shell to penetrate deeper into a target.

JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X