The container for powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The container for powder

How do you think the paint is original? To what gun was used?

Colour is original. This is not for army purpose.
    This is Black powder for use in quarry, for example marble mining.

Comment

Here is wehrmacht container for gunpowder :
      http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=641843

Comment

Just a thought but I would thik it is for military use. The presence of the WaA, dated 1934 and the gothic writing point to that. The fact it iseems made of brass and painted red make me think it could be for naval use. The closing system seems watertight. It reminds me of other kriegsmarine ammo boxes.

Carles

Comment

me6 130 ...Spr.Schw.P = Spreng Schwarz Pulver = A special kind of black powder. What would be the purpose 50kg special black powder for kriegsmarine ?
          An important place of application is in the quarry for the production of valuable workpieces such as marble or granite. Due to the highly destructive effect of detonation explosives, these are not used there. Since explosive powder is not explosive, but has a sliding effect, the rock is broken relatively gently, leaving fragments of suitable size and no hair cracking. However, after the advent of modern sawing methods, this method loses increasing importance.
          Wikipedia.

Comment

How about the fact it also has a WaA stamped on it, just as the other in that link? Would that not be a clear sign of it being a military item? maksiusta, can you try to find other stamps under the paint?

Carles
            Attached Files

Comment

Me6 130 - I think is that container is military production used for civilian supply.
              I found the same container but with different inscription and typeface. For Fp.02. There are WaA stamps on metal too.

Comment

Well, what we can be sure of is that it is military production. Use?...unconfirmed. I see no reason why the Wehrmacht would not use black powder. Perhaps it is an older container model. I don't know really.

Carles

Comment

Hi Guys,

36 dated would seem somewhat late for black powder use.

Agree that the seal would keep black powder dry, however most likely use for that period and with a Waffen would be for the use of GUN COTTON or derivative.

Brit engineers had a similar storage regime for gun cotton as it had to be kept moist. If it dried out it was extremely sensitive to friction and thus ignition or even worse detonation.
                  The brit version is quite hard to find as the entire container "could" be used a basis for a charge (bridge demo for instance) and was simply destroyed in use.

Supposition on my part but not beyond the realms of man as the date would suggest that kind of product.

Regards

Tim

Comment

timg - Did you read Inscription and label ? Spr. Schw. P. means Spreng Schwarz Pulver !
                    Black powder is used in military ammunition of all states until nowadays often. For example, artillery igniters, flare cartridges, etc.etc.

Comment

To me, this appears to be a reusable container for shipping bulk powder (i.e. from the powder production facility to the factory the filled the shells, fuses, etc.). Look at the white label on the side . . . is that a railroad shipping label? I have seen similar shipping labels on cases of Heer munitions.

What puzzles me, however, is that the Heer would be involved in shipping bulk powder between the manufacturer and the factories who used the powder in production . . . . seems like this would all have been done using private contractors between the commercial concerns involved in munitions production.

So . . . I could be totally wrong: maybe this is a military use container?

Whatever it is, the container is VERY well made and, IMO, was intended to be reused many times (i.e. it would not have been considered a disposable item as were the standard wooden munitions boxes).

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X