Opinions on purchasing a German 88mm Finnland used shell case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on purchasing a German 88mm Finnland used shell case

Please excuse the misspelling of Finland in the topic. I couldn't see how to correct it.

I don't see German 88mm shells for sale in the US very often. I recently have noticed the Finnish used and repainted shell cases being available here in the US. I'd prefer a Tiger I case but I wouldn't mind the flak type which is all I've found for sale here. I've seen the threads and photos of the German/Finland shells in this forum and the shell cases that I'm considering look similar. They are repainted and have the Finnish stenciling on the shell and the German markings on the bottom. I think they're interesting and it seems most collectors feel they are collectible (if one can't find or afford an untouched German example)? I'm not familiar with what a fair price would be for this type of shell (just the shell case with no warhead, primer or fuse). Would buying it in the US for $250 be out of line? I understand that they can be bought for less and are a little more common in Europe. I don't think that they can be shipped to the States. Plus the cost for shipping would be high. I'd appreciate any opinions.

Thank you!
    Frank

That is CRAZY price for finnish rework casing.

Casings cost here at Finland like 20euros each.
    And they are not repainted.They are sandblasted+laquered.

Projectiles are like 50euros for High Explosive projectile with rework colors.Original German colored HE round is like 100euros or even more.German original Armorpiercing round is like 70-150euros,depends how good stencil markings are still visible.Most of them are without original stencils.

Comment

Originally posted by jiipee76 View Post
      That is CRAZY price for finnish rework casing.

Casings cost here at Finland like 20euros each.
      And they are not repainted.They are sandblasted+laquered.

Projectiles are like 50euros for High Explosive projectile with rework colors.Original German colored HE round is like 100euros or even more.German original Armorpiercing round is like 70-150euros,depends how good stencil markings are still visible.Most of them are without original stencils.
      jiipee, Thank you for your reply. I've learned some things from your input on other threads in this forum. I was surprised to see that price also. I've seen that prices are much lower in the UK or Europe. I may be wrong but I don't think I can purchase one from overseas and have it delivered to the US. I was also wondering if any members from the US had any experience with prices on these shells from dealers in the US? I know dealers try to at least double their investment. I would like to add some panzer or 88 shells to my WWII collection and I'm trying to see what's realistic.

Frank

Comment

I just sold a complete nice and intact 8.8cm Flak 18 with primer and impact fuse for $1000 here in Florida. I don't believe they can be legally imported into the US anymore without government approval and considerable demilling.
        Last edited by Steve in Florida; 04-22-2016, 08:50 PM. Reason: Not an ad

Comment

88mm

I have several complete 88 rounds in the US that I would be willing to sell - HE or AP. Brass case or steel with most of the brass plating intact. No Finnish reworks.

witkows@yahoo.com

Comment

Stripped paint from Finnish casing?

Has anyone ever stripped the paint from a Finnish gray painted casing? If it's sandblasted, there must not be any original German finish left? I would like to see an example stripped.
            Dan h

Comment

Original finish would be a brass wash and only very late cases would be lacquered, I believe but not sure. It is so for smaller calibers, at least.

Refinished cases stripped of post war lacquer would look whitish or grayish bare metal, I would think. Perhaps they could be restored by having a new brass wash...

Carles

Comment

Originally posted by me6_130 View Post
                Original finish would be a brass wash and only very late cases would be lacquered, I believe but not sure. It is so for smaller calibers, at least.

Refinished cases stripped of post war lacquer would look whitish or grayish bare metal, I would think. Perhaps they could be restored by having a new brass wash...

Carles
                Yes casings are matt gray color if laquer layer is removed,as Carles told.

Originally german cases in Finland were with their original german brass layer.But sandblast removed it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X