M24 Grenades, Rack & Carrying Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M24 Grenades, Rack & Carrying Case

Showing here a recent acquisition which all came in the same lot: 5 grenades (deactivated), rack and carrying case. The case is stamped/dated 1939. There are remnants of a period paper sticker on the upper inside cover of the case. The grenade wooden sticks are marked 1940 with varying WaA marks, some hard to read: WaA 65; 40; 34; 130? and maybe 460? Four have the pull-cord with white porcelain device.

As well, in the case came four dark bakelite caps with a "GE" (General Electric) logo stamped on them and dated 1944. I am told that these have nothing to do with the M24s.

I hope you enjoy looking at these pictures. Any and all feedback is welcome.

John
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jwburchell; 09-04-2015, 04:07 PM.

Inside upper cover & label remnants:
    Attached Files

Comment

Case date & contents:
      Attached Files

Comment

Removable grenade rack:
        Attached Files

Comment

Grenade markings:
          Attached Files

Comment

WaA date stamp markings & pull-cords:
            Attached Files

Comment

WaA markings:
              Attached Files

Comment

The supposedly un-related bakelite caps:
                Attached Files

Comment

Excellent, nice clear image of the water proofing paint around the crimped edge of the canisters.

Regards from the South Shore to the North Shore of N.S.
                  Bern

Comment

What a stunning find. Nice to have one M24 in that condition let alone 5.

Very nice and thanks for showing.

Mike

Comment

Thanks, Bern & Mike. Just for interest, the person from whom I purchased these items told me that he acquired them from the estate of a retired Canadian artillery officer who served overseas in WW2 and brought them back to Canada.

Comment

Wow! Great find. I also noted that the case contains 4 caps marked with the GE trademark. These are No247 "Allways" fuze caps used on British/Canadian grenades. The No247 is an impact fuze used most commonly with the No69, No77 and No82 grenades. There is lots of information available online so I won't bother going into great detail here.
                        Last edited by Infanteer; 09-22-2015, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwburchell View Post
                          Thanks, Bern & Mike. Just for interest, the person from whom I purchased these items told me that he acquired them from the estate of a retired Canadian artillery officer who served overseas in WW2 and brought them back to Canada.
                          Nice to have a bit of provenance to go with them as well. Shame they'll never leave Canada

Mike

Comment

very nice and nearly impossible to find them in this condition.....

Comment

Very nice this would be a real great addition to any ordnance collection..BILL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X