V1 rudder (Fi-103 Vengence)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V1 rudder (Fi-103 Vengence)

I have been seeking one of these for a while now and finally I have one in my collection.

A V1 rocket rudder or tail fin. A bonus is the stencilling paint warning is still visible, albeit faint.

The V-1 flying bomb (German: Vergeltungswaffe also known to the Allies as the buzz bomb, or doodlebug, and in Germany as Kirschkern (cherrystone) or Maikäfer (maybug). At its peak, more than one hundred V-1s a day were fired at south-east England, 9,521 in total, decreasing in number as sites were overrun until October 1944, when the last V-1 site in range of Britain was overrun by Allied forces. After this, the V-1s were directed at the port of Antwerp and other targets in Belgium, with 2,448 V-1s being launched. The attacks stopped when the last launch site was overrun on 29 March 1945.

Feel free to post your V1 or V2 parts.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by robs; 03-23-2015, 02:08 AM.

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Here's my little part of a V2.
        Attached Files

Comment

I met an odd guy in the Inn River Valley once whose uncle had been an engineer under Von Braun. The old guy own a metal junkyard that was also where the engines were tested. I got to see the original blast room as well as fuel tanks off a V2 that were out in the scrap yard.

Comment

Saw this old post. Here's a tail rudder I just got in. More parts on the way.
            Attached Files
            https://www.ww2treasures.com

Comment

Is there any story about how these items survived?

Comment

The only story with this one is that it's from the outskirts of London (Romford). A couple of guys I talked to over the years said they picked up pieces like this one when they were children. They would hear these things coming and it would be a race to the explosion sites looking for debris.

These rudders were held in place by two small pins where they swiveled on. A small control arm protruded 90 degrees from the lower right side of the rudder, where the servo linkage connected (the control arm was broken off on this particular example). I would imagine the swivel pins would shear on impact and these rudders would detach. I've only found parts from the rear of the rocket...furthest from the explosion.
                Last edited by Berghof; 12-31-2016, 12:43 PM.
                https://www.ww2treasures.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                  Is there any story about how these items survived?
                  Many were found app. 5 years ago, a guy had them in his garden, as fence for his areas were he planted vegetables.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X