A very simple operational question regarding grenades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A very simple operational question regarding grenades

I'm more than a little embarrassed by not knowing the answers to a question a friend asked while I was showing him some of my grenades. He asked me if the ceramic bead & cord came out when the end of the friction wire was reached on a M24 ( BZ24 or 39). I didn't know for sure what to tell him. In other words, when an M24 ( or an M39 for that matter ) was thrown, was the bead still hanging out the end of the stick with the M24, or the cap still attached to the egg in the case of the M39?
    I'm sorry for this ridicules question, but taking some. Of my own advice of "if you don't know, ask"
    So I'm asking.

Certainly not a ridiculous question to ask............to be honest I dont really know for certain myself.

I had assumed that the ceramic bead was retained with the grenade when thrown, but I'm not 100% certain.......so that makes two of us that dont honestly know the answer!!

One thing is for certain once pulled if it came out or not I am sure it would be thrown pretty much straight away!!

look forward to seeing the correct answer..........over to you Nick ?????

regards Kev

Comment

HI Kev, Tim.

Basically,, you hold the stick in one hand and the pull cord in the other, as you move your arm back to throw the Hgr you pull the cord at the same time, then throw.. ( the stick not the pull cord)

The wire pulls clear of the delay tube causing it to light and start burning ( like a strike anywhere match) the wire is coiled up inside the tube and when you pull it clear it straightens the wire.

The following photos should help a bit, some have been pulled some are complete ( inert of course) have shown a few pulled ones so you can see the
      wire pulls straight every time.

Regards Nick
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jeeeensy; 12-02-2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Nick, great explanation.........but just to clarify, the ceramic bead remains with the grenade when thrown and not parted from the grenade ?

(IE on a mills you remove the pin and throw the grenade leaving the pin in your other hand; on a stick grenade for example is the bead left in your hand or does it travel with the grenade???)

regards Kev

Comment

Hi Kev.. thank you ,, no the pull cord should pull clean away from stick to ensure full ignition.

you could pull the cord and look up inside the handle to see if its fizzing away,, but id not recommend that,, great way to ffferk up you day

Cheers nick

Comment

Originally posted by jeeeensy View Post
                Hi Kev.. thank you ,, no the pull cord should pull clean away from stick to ensure full ignition.

you could pull the cord and look up inside the handle to see if its fizzing away,, but id not recommend that,, great way to ffferk up you day

Cheers nick
                Thanks Nick,

regards Kev

Comment

Thanks Nick , Kev
                  Very informative explanation Nick! I'm glad u had nick clarify Kev as I was not sure!
                  Tim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X