Wwi?? Practice grenade?? Whatsit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wwi?? Practice grenade?? Whatsit??

Hello folks. I found this at a flea market this week for short money and took a shot on it that it "might" be a practice grenade of sorts (rather than the mundane industrial use the seller implied...). It is basically shaped like your standard fare stiehlhandgranate, but rather than having a solid metal head, it has a cylindrical wooden head, with two rather thick steel bands, one on the upper edge, one lower, and the entire head has the remnants of red paint. There is a copper "bail" at the end of the handle, and the entire thing measures 14 inches long, and the head being 4 3/8 inches long x 2 3/8 inches wide, the steel bands themselves are secured via one nail and no less than six slotted screws. The steel bands are 3/16 of an inch thick. It weighs 1 lb, 8.5 ounces. I can find NO markings on it whatsoever, and have as yet, not found anything similar to it as it would relate to a practice or "dummy" grenade. I've posted a few shots of it, and would appreciate any help with its identification, regardless of WHAT it is! Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

So, the proverbial jury is REALLY out w/ this one. Guess I'll have to classify it under the "dunno" category...

Comment

Just to clarify this, Milton:
        according to the German nomenclature an exercise item is used to learn just the haptic handling (=throwing), a practice item has an additional function (bang and/or smoke).

So the object shown is an exercise stick of unknown origin.

Comment

Ah, Meinen Sie "Uebung" statt "Ausbildung"?? I think the implication was simply a "training" grenade, not to be overly specific. More for the basic weight and feel of the real thing. Thank you for commenting.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X