Opinions on this M24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opinions on this M24

I bought this M24 on e-stand. Do you think it's something that was put together using spare parts or probably/likely found as the description says? Any ideas? I don't like the fact that the stick is not stamped 43 Fcc like the cap. But I have read here on this forum that this is not always a sign of parts-grenades.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=716519

Thoughts?

Here is one that sold on Rj with both the top and stick marked the same. Also note that the stick is marked at the bottom ..

http://www.rjmilitaria.com/i151.htm

Comment

Normall a fcc can would be matched with a fcc handle BUT there has been a lot of water pass under the bridge since this grenade left the factory.

Heads and Handles would have been mixed and matched with very little concern for keeping the original parts together, these grenades needed the heads unscrewed from the handle to fit detonators before use so depending on the the situation there could have been dozens if not hundreds of grenades stripped for arming at any given time. This is also true for when these grenades were taken as souvenirs, there was potential for numerous grenades being deactivated at the same time as they were very popular souvenirs and at the time they were anything but scarce so I would imagine there was very little concern for keeping the matching components together as at the end of the day a grenade is a grenade, weather it is matched or not.

Today obviously a nicely matched example is something that will get a premium price but there is no shame in owning an original mixed pedigree grenade.

Mixed and matched for market is different again and puts the grenade in a slightly less desirable category but even these are still keenly sought after as the German Stick Grenade is somewhat of an iconic collectible.The mixed and matched for market type are fairly obvious being more often ground dug with mixed handles and mixed fittings which with a bit of experience are easy to spot.

I would be happy to say your grenade falls into the category of an original but mixed up war time souvenir

Hope that helps

MG34NZ

Comment

german stick grenades were often found mismatched here in europe....saw some waterfounds in austria, all with different markers on the can and stick.....but nevertheless....a matching one is the nicest one

best regards jens

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X