M1924 Stick Grenade help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M1924 Stick Grenade help please

I believe this is a sound matching example dwx44. The stick and head are matching with dwx44 markings as well as inked waffenapt marking.

The paint seems consistent although signs of a stencil remain

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files

Flash distorted the stick color a little
    Attached Files

Comment

details
      Attached Files

Comment

details ...
        Attached Files

Comment

Is this a typical later war configuration? It seems to have what I like to see but I know these have been taken to new reproduction levels.

Thank you for taking a look
          Attached Files

Comment

Yep, The fakes have improved! I like what I see for a late war masher so far but how about some more photos, any maker stamp with date on the top? like WC or FCC etc followed by full date like 1943 or last two numbers like 43. Please post more photos and have a look for the maker stamp.

Kevin

Comment

Hi,
              I would like to know how the owner of the grenade has removed the unsafe content of the can ... no hole. So two explanations: The grenade is not inert ... or the can is a fake.. that would be my first comment.
              Concerning the stick itself, it has a nice looking...
              Regards

PS: Let's wait for the expert's feelings on that kind of pieces

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoH View Post
                Hi,
                I would like to know how the owner of the grenade has removed the unsafe content of the can ... no hole. So two explanations: The grenade is not inert ... or the can is a fake.. that would be my first comment.
                Regards

Looks re-crimped; some traces visible. More pictures there can reveal this.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoH View Post
                  Hi,
                  Regards

It is my understanding that the explosive can be removed by boiling in water. I don't feel sure enough of that method to try it myself though. Better photos would make commenting a lot easier, but it does appear to be genuine.

Comment

Originally posted by WEISNER View Post
                    Yep, The fakes have improved! I like what I see for a late war masher so far but how about some more photos, any maker stamp with date on the top? like WC or FCC etc followed by full date like 1943 or last two numbers like 43. Please post more photos and have a look for the maker stamp.

Kevin
                    That's what the first photo shows.... dwx 44

Comment

It would be nice if some stenciling was still visible . Did all get the stenciling or only the early war examples.

"VOR GEBRAUCH SPRENGKAPSEL EINSETZEN": "Before use insert detonator"

In the case of this dwx44 example is it possible it never received one?

Comment

Arming instructions were dropped out early in the war, around July- August 1940 biased on examples of Rinker produced grenades in my collection with and without arming instructions (June and July have the instructions and August is without) its possible some later examples exist but none that I have seen.This is determined by the ink stamping relating to the filling date which is often rubbed off most grenades and hard to see at the best of times.Also in my opinion the grenades would have been made a bit earlier than the final filling date indicated by the ink stamp so its fair to say the instructions were omitted earlier than I have stated.

The can was inerted by opening up the crimp around the base of the can,It would take a bit of patience to do this but it leaves the fuse well intact rather than being butchered like most inerted grenades have been so that in its self is a big bonus.It is quite obvious if you have seen this type of inerting before as it often damages the paint at the base of the can.

Pics are not the best but if you download then edit them a little it becomes much clearer!

Price is up there BUT this is a very good example so it is hard to find them in this condition,however like anything at this point in time the price is coming back so maybe there is some room to negotiate down.This is a very nice example of a late production grenade and from what I have seen these later production items are hard to find.Points to conciser are as follows

Excellent matched maker code handle with waA stamp
                        Nice matching paint
                        Fuse well intact
                        Ink stamping to head remains
                        Pull string remains
                        BZ24 igniter remains

Hope this helps

MG34NZ
                        Last edited by MG34NZ; 10-03-2012, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MG34NZ View Post
                          Arming instructions were dropped out early in the war, around July- August 1940 biased on examples of Rinker produced grenades in my collection with and without arming instructions (June and July have the instructions and August is without) its possible some later examples exist but none that I have seen.This is determined by the ink stamping relating to the filling date which is often rubbed off most grenades and hard to see at the best of times.Also in my opinion the grenades would have been made a bit earlier than the final filling date indicated by the ink stamp so its fair to say the instructions were omitted earlier than I have stated.

The can was inerted by opening up the crimp around the base of the can,It would take a bit of patience to do this but it leaves the fuse well intact rather than being butchered like most inerted grenades have been so that in its self is a big bonus.It is quite obvious if you have seen this type of inerting before as it often damages the paint at the base of the can.

Pics are not the best but if you download then edit them a little it becomes much clearer!

Price is up there BUT this is a very good example so it is hard to find them in this condition,however like anything at this point in time the price is coming back so maybe there is some room to negotiate down.This is a very nice example of a late production grenade and from what I have seen these later production items are hard to find.Points to conciser are as follows

Excellent matched maker code handle with waA stamp
                          Nice matching paint
                          Fuse well intact
                          Ink stamping to head remains
                          Pull string remains
                          BZ24 igniter remains

Hope this helps

MG34NZ

MG34NZ,

What an executive summary..... I have learned more and thank you for the itemized points to consider. Your knowledge of these reassures.

Thank you very much for the review

Comment

I must correct myself...the igniter is a BZ39 NOT the earlier BZ24 as stated!

MG34NZ

Comment

Box for Brennzünder BZ for übungs Handgranate M24 grenade RRE

PICT0198.JPG PICT0199.JPG

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X