Is this an original M24 stick grenade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an original M24 stick grenade?

Hello, I have bought this M24 stick grenade. It looks almost new and has the stamp "44" as well in the wood as in the top of the head. I think it is an original piece but these days there are so many reproductions in a perfect quality that I am not sure anymore. Can you help me? Thanks from paul

M24

Top of the wooden stick.

Comment

M24

Stamp 44 in the stick

Comment

M24

Stamp 44 in the head

Comment

M24

The head

Comment

M24

Stick + bottom cap

Comment

M24

Head from under.

Comment

Hi Paul,

Sorry I must have missed this thread. I think we discussed this grenade here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=60232

But I can't be sure as the images on Ebay are now missing. Is this the item?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2258255623

Either way, this is a reproduction grenade, sorry. I don't like it for the following reasons:

1) The collar is screwed to the handle and the handle is dated 44 (with no makers ordnance code, this isn't correct). The collar should be crimped on this aged handle, see pictures and text on the thread above. The collar should have a reverse thread where the igniter is screwed into the collar, it doesn't look as if there is a thread on yours.

2) The pull cord is completely wrong.

3) The shinny female thread at the bottom of the handle is a modern reproduction, similar to that of the worldwidarms repro stick grenades.

4) The end cap is a reproduction cap, look how white the insert is.

5) The can's thread where it is screwed into the collar appears to be brand new. Most have paint even on the inside of the thread, certainly do not look like this and normally have the middle flange missing. How could they have deactivated this? The killer for me on the can, is the ordnance code is missing, this would never happen.

You should shine a tourch inside and have a look, I bet it looks brand new.

The pull pearl is however original.

If I have made a mistake with any of my observations then please let me know.

Regards,

Craig.

Comment

I am afraid that Craig is correct, I would also add the stencilling is very similar to repros I saw in Ste Mere Eglise 3 years ago, a guy who owns a shop there was having them made, pretty good for reenactors selling around the 40 pound mark, then.

Cheers

Mark

Originally posted by Craig Henninger
                  Hi Paul,

Sorry I must have missed this thread. I think we discussed this grenade here:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...ad.php?t=60232

But I can't be sure as the images on Ebay are now missing. Is this the item?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=2258255623

Either way, this is a reproduction grenade, sorry. I don't like it for the following reasons:

1) The collar is screwed to the handle and the handle is dated 44 (with no makers ordnance code, this isn't correct). The collar should be crimped on this aged handle, see pictures and text on the thread above. The collar should have a reverse thread where the igniter is screwed into the collar, it doesn't look as if there is a thread on yours.

2) The pull cord is completely wrong.

3) The shinny female thread at the bottom of the handle is a modern reproduction, similar to that of the worldwidarms repro stick grenades.

4) The end cap is a reproduction cap, look how white the insert is.

5) The can's thread where it is screwed into the collar appears to be brand new. Most have paint even on the inside of the thread, certainly do not look like this and normally have the middle flange missing. How could they have deactivated this? The killer for me on the can, is the ordnance code is missing, this would never happen.

You should shine a tourch inside and have a look, I bet it looks brand new.

The pull pearl is however original.

If I have made a mistake with any of my observations then please let me know.

Regards,

Craig.

Comment

Phoef

Hi,

Sorry to agree, but its far from being an original.

Robert

Comment

Reply to reactions

Hello and many thanks for your opinion on this M24 stick grenade. I did put this at the forum because I was suspiciuos also. All the comment you have given has been very helpful to determine the original ones from the reproductions in the future.

Thanks from Paul

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X