Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Bomb? Please help!

Hi everyone,

A couple of scavengers showed us these this "bomb" today that they wanted to sell. Does anyone have a clue to what this is?

Thanks in advance,
    Lev

PS: Sorry for the horrible cell phone pics! Only thing that was on hand.

downsize (1).jpg

downsize (6).jpg
    Last edited by Death-Ace; 09-02-2011, 05:08 PM.

One more pic: downsize.jpg

Comment

It kind of reminds me of the old oil smudge pots they used to use in road construction before the yellow flashing plastic kind of lights.

Comment

It doesn't look like any kind of explosive device I've ever seen. To be on the safe side, I would let the police deal with it.

Comment

blinky, Lon, thank you. It didn't look like any bomb I've seen, and I've never seen those pots before (well, I have now if this is one!). I'll probably have to call the cops tomorrow to make sure and tell those guys.

Thanks very much!
          Lev

Comment

Definetly not a bomb but pressure tank for some machinery.

Comment

Originally posted by jiipee76 View Post
              Definetly not a bomb but pressure tank for some machinery.

jiipee76, thank you for the confirmation! I better tell them so they know what they have.

Thanks again,
              Lev

Comment

Hard to tell if it is actually EO, or part of an EO item or not because I havent seen everything. But it does not look like EO to me, however see the common rule for your survival below.

I've said these kind of things a hundred times on here, yet you will always have people who ignore it for their own reasons. You guys are really taking a risk.

Dont touch, report to authorities.

Pete

P.S Time does not always make things safer, nor does the fact it was moved a million times or sat in your garage for 50 years and is painted blue and nothing happened. Thoughts to ponder. I really wish that there would be community safety programes for things like this world wide, just like for drunk drivers.
                Last edited by pete; 09-03-2011, 02:45 AM.

Comment

If it still has a strong smell like fuel oil or kerosene then it's probably a smudge pot. If you do a google search under images you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't know about down there but they still used these up in Wisconsin into the late 1970's. Other than that, Jiipee might be on target with the pressure tank idea

Comment

if i had to guess looks like a surge tank that is common in hydraulic systems i say that due to the hex head screwed in. but hey I don't want to be wrong so i guess the best idea let them figure it out or blow it up. but be nice to know .

Comment

Sorry y'all, been busy! I should probably call them soon. Have no idea how the Shreveport Police deal with these (lazy people for some part), but hopefully, they can solve it. I've looked it up and now I wonder if it'd blow up anyways under some heat fer a nice explosion!

Either way, I am going to call them soon to give them further instructions...though, they do seem a bit off...kind of like the two "woodsmen" from Deliverence. No Offense!

Blue Skies of Thunderbolts,
                      Lev

Comment

Not recomending any course of action, but I remember reading about how after some of the U.S. civil war battles kids would entertain themselves via digging a deep hole and building a fire in it, then toss in a cannon ball/shell scavenged from the battlefield. After a short delay (which gave the kids ample time to back off/seek shelter) the fire would ignite the fuze and or the main black powder charge, resulting in a very entertaining explosion.

On the other hand, I seem to recall reading here on the Forum about some guy in the former Soviet Union doing the same thing a few years ago with a very large German mortar round he found out in the forrest. In that case the HE charge was, apparently, much stronger than he thought and he was not far enough away and/or not under appropriate cover, as he was killed by the explosion

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X