2 CM Flak38 replacement barrels and case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 CM Flak38 replacement barrels and case

I'd appreciate any comments on rarity, desirability, pricing, etc., of a set of 2cm replacement barrels still in their case. The manuals and boresighting chart are original but have been added so the the serial numbers in the manual does not match the barrels. They do, however, still have most of their original markings. There is one small area where something seems to have been ground out, but it might be the manufacturer's code to prevent identification if captured.
    Thanks very much!
    Attached Files

second set photos

Also, of course, if anyone has any advice on the legality of buying and selling these, I would like to hear it. I assume that because they are just the barrels, they are do not present a problem.
    The photos accompanying this post show the booklets and the boresighting chart. As I mentioned, these were added to the barrels, but are original. There is also an asbestos mitt in their for changing out the barrels when hot.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hello Steve,

You've got a very nice set there. I imagine it is legal in the USA (but not sure), as weapons are deactivated by cutting the receiver down to pieces, but for sure it would be illegal in Europe, as in most of the countries here the barrel should be deactivated. I am sure there is a member that might be interested in the set (have a look around in the forum)

Carles

Comment

As a big fan of the 2cm flak this is a fantastic set. Lucky guy

Comment

Barrels

That is really nice set. Since they are just barrels they are legal to own and sale in the US. Do not cut them up. However, they would be illegal to export due to export controls on munitions. There are several live Flak 38 destructive devices in civilain hands in the United States. If you are going to sale them the best place to put them so that community (NFA) can view them is either www.subguns.com or www.sturmgewehr.com

Comment

Why could you not export these, they are only barrels and they are antique ,are they not, is there some US law that says you cannot send an old barrel out of town?

Comment

Just wondering: how did you come across this set? it looks like a very large and heavy item, not of the type that the typical WWII U.S. vet would bring home as a souvenir?

Comment

Originally posted by ebony View Post
                Why could you not export these, they are only barrels and they are antique ,are they not, is there some US law that says you cannot send an old barrel out of town?
                As I said, live barrels for auto or over 20mm weapons are absolutelly illegal in most european countries. The only way you could sell them in Europe is by making from 3 to 6 holes, blocking welded the chamber and other medieval tortures I wouldn't like for those so nice preserved items.

Carles

Comment

My understanding is that New Zealand has some of the most pro-collector firearms laws in the World, in that private citizens can own live full auto guns (including machine cannon such as the Flak 38). Also, I understand that live automatic weapons (and replacement parts such as barrels) can be imported into New Zealand for use by private citizens. Thus, unless there is an export restriction under U.S. law, the guy in New Zealand should be able to lawfully import items such as the Flak 38 barrels into New Zealand.

That said, there is no reason to export any of this out of the U.S. as we have a very lively market for such items here, including a number of privately owned (and legally registered) live full auto Flak 38. Also, a number of reinactor units have dummy gun "mock ups" of the Flak 38, so I anticipate you will have no trouble finding a new domestic home for these items.

BTW: Due to adminstrative actions by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives several years ago, live uncut barrels for machineguns and Destructive Devices (such as the Flak 38 is classified under federal law) can no longer be imported into the U.S. Thus, the suppy of such spare (original) barrels within the U.S. has become frozen, so any and all existing original spare barrels here in the U.S. should be carefully preserved for use be future generations of collectors.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
                    My understanding is that New Zealand has some of the most pro-collector firearms laws in the World, in that private citizens can own live full auto guns (including machine cannon such as the Flak 38). Also, I understand that live automatic weapons (and replacement parts such as barrels) can be imported into New Zealand for use by private citizens. Thus, unless there is an export restriction under U.S. law, the guy in New Zealand should be able to lawfully import items such as the Flak 38 barrels into New Zealand.

Where can I buy a ticket to NZ?

Carles

Comment

True so true.

QUOTE=Alan Smith;4834728]My understanding is that New Zealand has some of the most pro-collector firearms laws in the World, in that private citizens can own live full auto guns (including machine cannon such as the Flak 38). Also, I understand that live automatic weapons (and replacement parts such as barrels) can be imported into New Zealand for use by private citizens. Thus, unless there is an export restriction under U.S. law, the guy in New Zealand should be able to lawfully import items such as the Flak 38 barrels into New Zealand.

That said, there is no reason to export any of this out of the U.S. as we have a very lively market for such items here, including a number of privately owned (and legally registered) live full auto Flak 38. Also, a number of reinactor units have dummy gun "mock ups" of the Flak 38, so I anticipate you will have no trouble finding a new domestic home for these items.

BTW: Due to adminstrative actions by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives several years ago, live uncut barrels for machineguns and Destructive Devices (such as the Flak 38 is classified under federal law) can no longer be imported into the U.S. Thus, the suppy of such spare (original) barrels within the U.S. has become frozen, so any and all existing original spare barrels here in the U.S. should be carefully preserved for use be future generations of collectors.[/QUOTE]

Comment

WOW!!!! That's a great find.

Comment

2cm flak38

Thanks very much to all who responded! I appreciate your knowledge and advice.

(I don't have any background on who brought them back. All I can say is that some GI had an awfully big duffel bag.)

I intend to leave them as is and will probably offer them on the e-stand in the next week once I figure out options for transporting them.

Thanks again guys.

Comment

Export Law

In regard to export of the barrels mentioned above and why it is illegal. The barrels would come under the US Munitions List (these laws are enforced by CBP, ICE, and Dept. of Commerce). EVEN though they are WWII barrels and to a non-US made item they would still come in under the law and be illegal to export without an end-user certificate (a private citizen is not going to get one). Here is a link to the webpage. One will be surprised on what is on the list if you want to sit and read it one day http://usexportcompliance.com/FAQitar.htm#munitions
                            and http://www.bis.doc.gov/

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X