Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restoration of 88mm shell

Hi,

I picked up an 88mm Anti -tank shell with fuse and primer for £60 off a Polish dealer at Detling yesterday, its in relic condition with surface rust and some pitting but has a nice Waa stamp with the Nazi eagle and swastika. I was hoping to clean it up a bit , nothing to aggresive but enough to smooth off the surface and reveal any more markings.
    Any advice appreciated, would I be better off leaving it well alone? also I am hoping to find a nice original casing for it. Does anyone know where I can source one, preferably in the UK but possibly Europe.

A dealer from Belgium was also present there but a little too pricy for my pocket, he had a Konigstiger 88mm shell on his stand but I did not ask how much, now wish I had.

Cheers, Stu

Some Ideas for boxes:
    http://www.leboncoin.fr/bricolage/222069152.htm?ca=17_s

http://www.leboncoin.fr/collection/2...24.htm?ca=17_s

Comment

Hi Tigerace,

Did the Polish guy have any of those Pak 40 rounds left? He had three yesterday and I wondered if they had sold when you looked in?

BTW - the Dutch chap (Ben I think) who had the King Tiger round, it was £600.00. I bought the slightly cheaper one he had!

Cheers

Richard

Comment

Did the Polish guy have any of those Pak 40 rounds left? He had three yesterday and I wondered if they had sold when you looked in?

BTW - the Dutch chap (Ben I think) who had the King Tiger round, it was £600.00. I bought the slightly cheaper one he had!

Yes, i think he had one left, i dont know the price? Ben had 5cm PAK for £80 i think he said, but when i picked up what i think was a 30mm MK108 Cannon round and asked the price , i think that was also £80 so i was a bit confused. I am relatively new to collecting WW2 Ordnance so the prices are a bit of a shock to me.
        As usual, i got home and thought '' Damn, i wished i'd have grabbed that''
        I also saw MG151 self destructing rounds for £22, i have one and need 5 more for some links I am buying. Anyone have any for sale, im thinking they were not a terrible price after all.

Cheers,

Stu

Comment

I think the Polish chap was knocking out the Pak 40 rounds for about 60 quid as well. It's a shame the cases were so badly gone or else I might have got one. I did think about one of the AP 88's as well but most of my money went on the Tiger round and that was it for me.

I might get an AP head if he goes to the Victory show next weekend otherwise I'll wait and save up for a better one.

Good luck with your collecting. I'm quite new to this side of it too.

Cheers

Richard

Comment

Richard,

good luck with your collecting endeavours too, sounds like your off to a good start with a nice 88mm.

It certainly is an addictive field of collecting.

Cheers,

Stu

Comment

Finding GOOD Pak40 casing is way more harder than finding GOOD Pak40 panzergranate.I have many grenades but not even one GOOD casing.

Was complete 5cm Pak38 round 80pounds? That sound good deal,if the grenade and casing are atleast decent condition.But for MK108...80pounds sound littlebit too much.

Comment

Was complete 5cm Pak38 round 80pounds? That sound good deal,if the grenade and casing are atleast decent condition.But for MK108...80pounds sound littlebit too much.

yes they were complete and in pretty nice condition, now i am not certain i heard him correctly? im fairly certain he said £80. But when he said £80 for the MK108 he has put doubts in my mind.
                One thing i know for certain is none of his stock had a price tag and you had to ask, i felt like I was being a pest keep asking him prices. A shame they were not marked up in the first place.

Regards,

Stu

Comment

I don't know if it might help but I have some things down at E-stand:

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=519655

I've also got some LW rounds. I bought too many for the belts I was completing (MG151/15, MG151/20, MK103 and MK 108).

Carles
                  Attached Files

Comment

Ben had two nice Pak 40 rounds with very clean cases at £200 each but I decided on this lovely lump instead. Although not a set, it does have an Az23/28 fuse.

I'm after a C/22 primer if anyone has one knocking about.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Rolfester,

very, very nice clean 88mm. May just head over to that Victory show you mentioned to have another look round.

Cheers,

Stu

Comment

Thank you sir, and in response to your original question I'd also like to know the best way to clean up such items.

I've heard good things about this stuff but not tried it myself.

http://www.picreator.co.uk/articles/...e_metal_de.htm

It's not cheap though.

Comment

Originally posted by rolfester View Post
                          Ben had two nice Pak 40 rounds with very clean cases at £200 each but I decided on this lovely lump instead. Although not a set, it does have an Az23/28 fuse.
                          It is a very nice shell but I am curious, what do you mean the 8.8cm KwK 43 is not a set?

Are you able to remove the projectile? I would love to see a picture of the complete projectile please.

PC

Comment

Rolfester,

Thanks for the tip on the restoration stuff, I have found it on Amazon for a not unreasonable £8.99 so im going to give it a go.
                            I will try to source a brass 88mm case and Bingo! a nice display piece i hope.

Also thanks for everyone else's input, its appreciated

Stuart

Comment

Hi Paul C,

The projectile is one of the standard Finnish ones you find and it has been painted at some point. I can take it out of the case so if you still want to see the complete item let me know and I'll post some more piccies later today.

Cheers

Richard

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X