Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A "what the heck is this" thead :P

Hello guys, Im hoping for some help with this item,

After talking to afew chaps, they put me onto afew websites etc, but I still cant confirm what this item is,

It kinds looks like a Rifle grenade, but not,

as you can see its well marked and dated, and looks to missing afew parts, or something that connects to it, Im unsure if its holding a charge etc, but I did drop it, and well, Im still here to type this msg up :P

But anyhelp guys would be fantastic
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

looks to b 2cm flack projectile minus fuse Ric

Drop me an email mate

MG34NZ

Comment

Thanks a bunch for your help Andy

Comment

Yes, it's a HE tracer (yellow with a red line). Seems it still has tracer stuff in there. It is for Flak/Kwk 30-38 as it has a Heer WaA and not a LW one. If it had a LW WaA then it would be for a MG151/20 or an MGFF.

Carles

Comment

Sure that's not HE-I-T mates? Red-Fire for the I part. Am I correct?

Pete

Comment

If I'm not mistaken yellow body is High Explosive, fine red line over the copper band is Tracer. Incendiary is usually blue stripe or blue body. That in German colour code, of course.

Carles

Comment

Yes, of course They weren't Nato

Comment

Here two german Incendiary 20mm shells, both for LW MG 151/20 or MG-FF:
                    #1: Incendiary+ night tracer+self-destruct.
                    #2: Armour piercing+ Incendiary

Carles
                    Attached Files

Comment

I agree, 1940 2cm Flak (30 or 38) Yellow body: "Sprenggranat" (High Explosive), Red Band above rotating or obdurating band: "mit rot L'spur" (red tracer). Missing the fuze. It may be a self destroying tracer....look down inside the HE cavity and see if there is a small hole in the bottom and if so, that is where the tracer would burn through and detonate the HE element at a defined distance so that the round would not come crashing back down to earth after firing it. The red band does look dark which could indicate "Brand" (Incendiary) but it could just be dark due to age.

Comment

It is early 1940 made 121g torpedo tailed 2cm Flak grenade,cannot say about the type exactly without seeing all visible markings and interior.

Could be also Tropen model for tropic usage with that thin dark red line.
                        Last edited by jiipee76; 05-19-2011, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I am sure the red stripes in the area mean tracer. Blue body or blue stripe are for Incendiary in German ordnance colour code during WWII, as far as I know. Blue and white stripes near the tip of AP shells, together with a white 'Ph' (phosphorus) clearly mean Incendiary, depending on what type of phosphorus has been used.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by me6_130; 05-19-2011, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Blue stripes(incendiary) might also be found on HE shells (yellow body), and red stripes (for tracer) on incendiary shells (blue body):
                            Attached Files

Comment

You might even find the very rare HE (yellow body) Incendiary (blue stripe) Tracer(red stripe):
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X