Strange shell splinters.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange shell splinters.

I found some strange shell splinters with my metal detector. They should be american. Maybe someone can help identifying what kind of shell they were produced by. Here are the caracteristics:
    -stayed in very good condition in a zone where all other metal things are rotten.
    -have remains of yellow paint on them.
    -are almost perfect rectangles, as opposed to normal splinters that have strange shapes.
    -are about 1.5 cm thick

I have never seen any splinters with all these caracteristics. does anyone have any idea what they are from, or why they have yellow paint on them?

JL

How big are the rectangles?

Im just guessing here but maybe a pineapple grenade????
    as for the yellow, is it words or a yellow band?
    Eric.

Comment

I am just looking at them. Apparently, there were shallow lines on the shell, to make it brake into rectangles. They are exactly 2cm whide, and at least 9cm long.
      These are shell fragments, not mortars or grenades, or mines, because on one of the fragments there is the trace for the "copper belt" that makes the shell spin inside the canon tube.
      The fragments are painted yellow, they dont have yellow words.
      I have never seen shell fragments with fragmentation lines. Could these splinter be from some kind of special anti personal shell? I found them near a groupe of german fox holes.
      JL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X