OK This qualifies as rare!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK This qualifies as rare!

When you get down to where there is one known of something that qualifies as rare! This is the muzzle of an 8"/55 naval rifle taken from the USS Helena prior to her scrapping. To the best of our knowledge this is the only piece of her guns left.
    Attached Files

Another angle.
    Originally posted by Gary Cain View Post
    When you get down to where there is one known of something that qualifies as rare! This is the muzzle of an 8"/55 naval rifle taken from the USS Helena prior to her scrapping. To the best of our knowledge this is the only piece of her guns left.
    Attached Files

Comment

Fantastic piece for a great display. Well Done!

-wagner-

Comment

thats coooool

Comment

Are you planning to restore it?
          MLP

Comment

Nice piece, don't have to worry about it being a repro at least.

The part I don't get is the USS Helena was torpedoed and sunk in action in the south pacific, with heavy loss of life ,,, It was not scrapped.
            Was there perhaps another USS Helena ?

Edit:

Four ships of the United States Navy have been named USS Helena, after the city of Helena, Montana.

* USS Helena (PG-9) was a gunboat in service from 1897 to 1932

* USS Helena (CL-50) was a light cruiser commissioned in 1939 and saw heavy action in the Solomon Islands during World War II, ultimately being sunk in the Battle of Kula Gulf

* USS Helena (CL-113), was a light cruiser canceled while under construction, in 1944

* USS Helena (CA-75) was a heavy cruiser commissioned in 1945, active in the Korean War, and decommissioned in 1963

* USS Helena (SSN-725) is a Los Angeles-class nuclear attack submarine commissioned in 1987 and currently in active service

So I'm guessing this was from USS Helena #4, or possibly #3.

Comment

It also qualifies as awesome!

Originally posted by Gesundheit View Post
              Nice piece, don't have to worry about it being a repro at least.

The part I don't get is the USS Helena was torpedoed and sunk in action in the south pacific, with heavy loss of life ,,, It was not scrapped.
              Was there perhaps another USS Helena ?

Edit:

Four ships of the United States Navy have been named USS Helena, after the city of Helena, Montana.

* USS Helena (PG-9) was a gunboat in service from 1897 to 1932

* USS Helena (CL-50) was a light cruiser commissioned in 1939 and saw heavy action in the Solomon Islands during World War II, ultimately being sunk in the Battle of Kula Gulf

* USS Helena (CL-113), was a light cruiser canceled while under construction, in 1944

* USS Helena (CA-75) was a heavy cruiser commissioned in 1945, active in the Korean War, and decommissioned in 1963

* USS Helena (SSN-725) is a Los Angeles-class nuclear attack submarine commissioned in 1987 and currently in active service

So I'm guessing this was from USS Helena #4, or possibly #3.
              I don't want to make you look foolish, but it says that it's from CA-75 right on the plaque.

Comment

Great piece!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X