CollectorToCollector

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A few German and US sell fragments to be identified.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few German and US sell fragments to be identified.

First up, two types of German shell heads, does anybody know what type of shell they are from?
    Attached Files

Close up of the same type of shell as on the left above, with markings and Waffen Ampt clearly visible.
    Attached Files

Comment

Now, a type of US shell head: on top, a more or less complete head; and at the bottom, fragments of the lower half of the head only.
      My guess would be that this is some type of 75mm shell head; but the shape of the head is very strange. Does anybody know what this is?
      Attached Files

Comment

The same fragments in different positions, for identification. As can be seen, the two bottom pieces fit together, and come from the same shell that exploded. I am always amused when I manage to match up two pieces of shrapnel found on a battlefield!
        Attached Files

Comment

An other view to show how the bottom two pieces fit together perfectly.
          Attached Files

Comment

An other type of Us shell fragment to be identified. My guess is that it is a type of 75mm shell head.
            Attached Files

Comment

Finaly, just for your viewing pleasue, detonator systems of fragmentation and white phosphorus US grenades that have been used, and exploded.
              Attached Files

Comment

Come on guys. Any ideas on the first German shell heads posted? I have been finding a lot of the aluminum ones. Are they from 88mm, 75mm?

JL

Comment

AZ23umg fuze is for 21cm and 24cm Spreng.Granates.
                  Last edited by jiipee76; 01-07-2010, 10:08 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. That is a pretty large caliber! How were these spreng Granaten fired? By mortar, artillery, Nebelwerfer??

JL

Comment

Originally posted by Jean-Loup View Post
                      Thanks for the info. That is a pretty large caliber! How were these spreng Granaten fired? By mortar, artillery, Nebelwerfer??

JL
                      I think more like 21cm Mörser 16 and 21cm Mörser 18.Heavy howitzers like that.They were designed to be used against concrete buildings.

Comment

I found all these fragments in the mountains where there are a lot of fortifications, so this sounds logical.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X