WW1 Stick Grenade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Stick Grenade.

Hi Guys, here is a grenade I have in my collection that came with an interesting story.
    A friend of mine who is a WW2 British re-enactor was chatting to me one day ata show about German militaria. He mentioned a old chap who he knew that was a keen gardener. In this chap's greenhouse was a "seed shaker" that my friend said looked like a WW2 stick grenade but it had a belt clip on the side of it? My interest was arroused and I asked if he could borrow it to show me? The following week he turned up at the next show with it, the chap had gave it to him, saying his Dad used to use it for planting seeds with. He would pour the seeds inside it then walk down the furrow shaking the seeds out of it to plant them.
    As you can see the "Seed shaker" is a 1915 dated stick grenade. The chap's Dad had taken the lid off the grenade can, emptied out the expolsive and used it like that.
    I gave my friend a tenner for it. The shaft was ful of wood worm and the can rusty but solid. I treated the wood worm and filled holes with a mixture of sawdust and PVA glue. The wood was then treated with linseed oil as it was very very dry. The metal was treated with a rust preventitive wax compound that killed the active rust.
    I added the end cap and ball to help complete the display as I picked these up at Beltring show for £2.
    Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files

Fuse markings for a 5.5 second fuse.

Comment

Makers mark for "AEG". This German Company still exsists and now makes kitchen appilances like 'fridges and cookers!

Comment

Head of the grenade which still shows signs of some of the original cardboard liner and field grey paintwork.

Comment

Last pic shows the end cap and ball which I added for display.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X