• Time
  • Show
Clear All

M24 Grenade Repainted ?

Does this look repainted?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Looks OK to me ,nice even wear and nice condition by the look of it.
      MG34NZ

Comment

looks good to me
        is the head stamped 43 fcc? if so could you take a picture of the handle is it stamped 43 fcc with a triangle after it?
        thanks

Comment

I think it is a dol marked stick. I assume these things were mixed and matched after the war thus the varying marks? Did they leave the factory with the same marks on stick and head? Thanks.

Comment

Being fcc (Nier, Hermann, Metallwarenfabrik, Beierfeld in Sachsen) I would expect the stick to carry the same marking, I have a fcc 43 stick (reidmuller no triangle on this one)and one fcc43 grenade that has a wc marked handle, this is how this grenade came back from WWII to New Zealand and was never mixed and matched post war, Most of my nice complete originals are matched handle and head but there were exceptions. If you go to inert-ord.net there are pics of a lake recovered grenade thats also miss matched and some information on this very qyestion so yes there were miss matched grenades in circulation during the war and at a guess I would say later war production rather than early war would be affected by shortages of materials, bombing of factorys and such.
            And yes there are PLENTY of post war put together grenades out there ! how can you tell?? its hard but most of them will have ground dug handle with a greyish tinge to the wood and pitted rusty fittings or fresh replacement fittings or a poxy rust riddled can on a nice clean handle are a dead give away. Another tip is study up on the fittings themselves, the attatchment means in particular as screw fitting and peirced tabs were used early and mid to late war respectively so a screwed on thread connector on a 1943 handle would be compleatley wrong
            MG34NZ
            Last edited by MG34NZ; 05-09-2009, 02:44 AM. Reason: added information

Comment

MG34NZ i would be interested in seeing your fcc43 is it the early machined thread or the later stamped type?
              I have an fcc43 with the stamped thread (i beleve this was one of the 1st of this type produced) and has an O after the markings I have also seen triangle and othere markings so just trying to gather info on them as i have 4 fcc's now

Comment

Thanks guys. I noticed there is a little paint on the stick. (visible above) Were the heads painted while on the sticks?

Comment

Sorry i forgot to answer your question from earlyer. They would have been matching when they left the factory but in the field who knows what could happen. One reason is they had to insert the detonator before useing them and have seen pictures of FJ with a pile of heads and a pile of sticks so this will give one reason for non matching heads and sticks (no point matching them up if the head fits)
                  Also after looking at the first picture again i can see a very slight difference in the colour on the head from the stick but may be the way the photo was taken would need to see it in person to confirm
                  As to your last question i would have thaught that they would have painted the collar just after being produced but saying that i have seen early sticks where the paint is clearly on the stick by about 10mm so im not sure how it was done

Comment

Not repainted.
                    Luca
                    Siam fatti cosi!

Comment

Originally posted by reidmuller View Post
                      MG34NZ i would be interested in seeing your fcc43 is it the early machined thread or the later stamped type?
                      I have an fcc43 with the stamped thread (i beleve this was one of the 1st of this type produced) and has an O after the markings I have also seen triangle and othere markings so just trying to gather info on them as i have 4 fcc's now
                      here are two fcc handle markings, both handles are machined thread versions
                      one 1s the roughest finish on a handle I have seen and marked 0 42 fcc the second is 43 fcc there is a WaA stamp under the mark but unreadable, this was a ground dug handle and the former was on a vet bring back grenade.
                      If you want more pics PM or email me and I will send as many as you want and give full descriptions.
                      Regards
                      Andrew MG34NZ
                      Attached Files

Comment

a keeper

Comment

I agree, looks like a nice grenade. I love the paint myself. Glenn

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X