Battle of Britain Incendiary Bomb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battle of Britain Incendiary Bomb

Just got this yesterday from a ww2 RAF vets son. His mother and father were both in the RAF and his father extinguished this fire bomb after a raid by smothering it with sand. He kept it as s souvenir, sadly both parents have passed so no further history can be obtained about the piece. I believe this is an elektron brandbombe 1 KG incendiary bomb. Nicely marked and in pretty good shape considering it was dropped from a plane! Never had one of these before, just wondering if anyone has an idea as to value. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

last pic
          Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting!

These types of munitions are very frightening, especially the results. The first wave dropped on Coventry were of these...followed by the normal munitions. The fire services could only sit and watch it all burn out, absolutely terrible munitions and serious to dispose of as well.

Regards,

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
              Very interesting!

These types of munitions are very frightening, especially the results. The first wave dropped on Coventry were of these...followed by the normal munitions. The fire services could only sit and watch it all burn out, absolutely terrible munitions and serious to dispose of as well.

Regards,

Pete
              Seems a bit back to front. Bomber command dropped HE first in order to blast open buildings so the incendiaries would drop inside rather than on to roofs and thus increase the chances of creating fires.
              Collecting German award documents, other paperwork and photos relating to Norway and Finland.

Comment

Just quoting out of a book i am reading on the Blitz, very interesting book

"Forgotten voices" of the Blitz and battle for britian by Joshua Levine 2007.

Dilwyn Evans- Red Cross in Coventry Page 390

"The Coventry raid lasted from about seven o'clock at night until half-past five the next morning. First of all, they sent a wave of planes over with incendiary bombs which they dropped on the city, lighting it up. As soon as the city was alight, over came the heavy bombers, and they just dropped everything that they'd got. I was at home and as soon as I realised how serious things were-at about nine o'clock- I got on my bike and went to the city centre. And when i'd got there, I had to carry my bike over rubble on the roads. The amount of damage to armament factories outside the city centre was very limited compared to the damage to the cathedral and the commercial buildings in the centre."

Regards,

Pete

Comment

Incendiary Bomb Value?

Nice one!, I've owned a few of these but never had one that's gone off!
                  The value is from £40 - £70 in this condition. I have seen them go for more than this aswell.

Regards,
                  Eddie

Comment

Thanks for the price info, I paid $100.00 for it because I liked it so I guess I did OK.

FL

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X