WW1 stick grenade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 stick grenade

Walked into a local gunstore and saw this grenade hanging on the wall. I've never had the opportunity to pick one up before so I grabbed it. The condition is not mint... missing end cap.... handle chipped ... two holes in the body... some rust... but beggars can't be choosers.I paid $160US for it. Other than I believe it's German ww1 I don't know much about it. Any info on the grenade or how I did would be welcomed.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Jim you have done well ! Nice early example there and nicely marked handle.
          The caps arnt to hard to locate if you want to complete it, theres bound to be a forum member with a spare handy to you, the thread for the cap can also be found quite easly also.
          The grenade appears to be what is generally recognised as a 1915 pattern head on a 1916 pattern handle, and would have been produced like this rather than put together later, prior to the introduction of the 1917 pattern grenades there was no standardisation as such and manufacturers produced grenades along very loose guidelines so a lot of variants exist.

I will gladly give it a home if you feel the need to part with it

Regards
          MG34NZ
          Last edited by MG34NZ; 01-25-2009, 05:32 PM.

Comment

Terrific find!

Greetings Jim: That's a great example of a very early issue grenade in great condition. I really like the early head variation with hard to find original paint, along with the marked handle. "Congrats" on the acquisition. I cannot add any more information than already submitted by MG34NZ ...except I think you should also post this on the Imperial section as it could have been overlooked here. Additional information could also be available there.
            Best Regards
            Zeke

Comment

Was asked by a forum member to provide a closeup of the markings....

Comment

H Jim, nice find,, and cheap.. before you fit a bottom thread and cap check if there are any tell tale signs of one being fitted before as waxed paper was used before the scew caps were introduced.

Kind Regards nick

Comment

+ + +

Originally posted by jeeeensy View Post
                  H Jim, nice find,, and cheap.. before you fit a bottom thread and cap check if there are any tell tale signs of one being fitted before as waxed paper was used before the scew caps were introduced.

Kind Regards nick
                  Exactly this is the case here - waxed cardboard safety cap, no metal parts

Comment

Originally posted by HGrenadier View Post
                    Exactly this is the case here - waxed cardboard safety cap, no metal parts
                    Hi Dimitar Happy new year, thanks for endorsing this for me,

Best Regards nick

Comment

Nicely marked example. Well done. These are getting harder to find in this sort of condition.

Comment

If a shallow recess then wax cap, if deep the meatal thread and screw cap..

Regards nick
                        Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X