V1 buzz bomb pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V1 buzz bomb pictures

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Feel free to move the post to a better place. That said, I found out that 1 of only 2 V1's in the U.S. is a short drive from my home. One is in Washington D.C., and the other in Greencastle IN. Sitting on the Court House lawn.
    Attached Files

pic.2
    Attached Files

Comment

pic.3
      Attached Files

Comment

Very nice! Is there any special reason for being placed there in Indiana? I've been told that the one in Washington dc. is in a Museum.
        It's a shame the bright color of the V1 in the pictures.
        Kind regards

Comment

There is another one at the Fantasy Of Flight outside of Orlando, Fl. All the planes are a personal collection of Mr. Weeks. He earned his millions from an inheritance. His daddy was an oilman. Some guys have all the luck!

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/

http://www.fantasyofflight.com/aircr...flyingbomb.htm
          Last edited by Ken B.; 08-08-2008, 07:07 PM.

Comment

You can't imagine how surprised I was when I first saw that V-1. I was driving through the area two years ago on my way from Rock Island, IL to Bedford, IN at about 12:30AM. The main highway takes you right through the center of town, around that imposing, elevated court house block. Many small towns in the mid-west seem to have a central square block in the middle of town with a city hall or court house the traffic must be routed around. Many of them have cannons and other interesting monuments out front so I got accustomed to keeping an eye out for interesting stuff.

There was just enought light from the street lights as I came through Greencastle to see a pylon with a...........WTF was that?? NO, it couldn't be! One more trip around the block and I was stopped and out taking flash pictures with my camera on the court house lawn. I thought I might have some explaining to do as a Police car circled the block several times watching me take my photos. It occured to me it probably wasn't the first time he'd seen some aircraft buff or German collector taking pictures in the middle of the night.

A surprisingly well maintained and displayed example considering the unusual nature of the artifact and the small town it wound up in. Most places would have junked it 40 years ago when the first paint job got flaky and the novely wore off. And I'm not so critical of the present glossy paint scheme. Don't forget that for an item on outside display, a gloss paint job does a much better job of sealing and preserving the sheet metal underneath than most lusterless finishes. I'm sure it sees a lot of snow and rain there in a year.

It's nice to see how it looks in the daylight. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Originally posted by renfield View Post
              I am not sure if this is the right place to post this. Feel free to move the post to a better place. That said, I found out that 1 of only 2 V1's in the U.S. is a short drive from my home. One is in Washington D.C., and the other in Greencastle IN. Sitting on the Court House lawn.
              Renfield...
              Where are you located in Indiana? I live about 2 miles outside of Greencastle
              Last edited by waffendude; 09-01-2008, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I live in Clinton, IN. It is about 12 miles straight north of Terre Haute. There do seem to be a lot of people from IN on this forum. A friend sent me an email about strange things in Indiana and the V1 was on the list. My wife and I were driving on highway 40 and took the extra few miles to see it. Funny story about the police. This was in the middle of the day on a Friday, I was laying flat on my back on the sidewalk to get the right angle for the pictures. Just snapping away, I look to my side and there is a police car at the stop light watching me. I bet they see a lot of odd things. By laying down I was able to get the V1 against the sky and not in front of a building. It was worth the few moments of embarassment.

Comment

I had a buddy that lived in Clinton years ago, home of the Little Italy festival? right? That V1 rocket underwent a restoration a few years back, I think they replaced some of the metal with stainless? There was an article in the Greencastle Banner Graphic about it.

Comment

that's why it looks so good, (its' been restored with some stainless)

I thought it looked too good until you posted that.

But much of it might be orginal aluminum, right? so hopefully it won't disappear entirely.

Comment

nice that they put it on a V shaped stand also ...suits it very wel

Comment

I know of three in Washington State, 1 at the Museum of Flight in Seattle, 2 owned by Paul allen in Everett, and one of those is the manned version, his are full restored to operational condition.
                        S

Comment

thanks for posting. a "V" stand for vengeance (weapon) ? there is a few in texas also , housed in side. But there was one mounted on a telephone pole in a lumber yard in texas too. I have no clue where now. by now some one else most likely has it. these are little bigger than one would think. would be intresting to find out the who & why they have it here. jeff

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X