Some Kind of Rocket Projectile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Kind of Rocket Projectile

Posting for member inimicus.. He needs ID on this projectile.....

His quote: colleagues -

found this boat-tailed, nine-pound, foot-long projectile recently at an estate sale.

the nose is solid; there are no joins anywhere along it's length; nothing unscrews - tho something DID screw into the base at one time and is now missing.

there are about a dozen tiny holes around the outer perimeter near the base. in the ID, ca. 3.5" from the base, it "necks down" ca. 1/32" and that lesser ID continues apparently all the way to the end.

it's quite shiny in there and looks like brass but I've been thinking "alloy" b/c of the weight and b/c of the possibly special properties and "tasking" for such a projectile... I haven't been able to find anything small enuf to stick into the tiny "venturis" to see how deep they go. there are no markings. the entire thing is estremely smooth and very well-machined.
    see images...

"experimental? prototype? what era?

many thanks again for any insights!

Inimicus
    Attached Files

???????????????
    Attached Files

Comment

?_?
      Attached Files

Comment

another pic
        Attached Files

Comment

Are we sure this is an ordinance item? Any markings? Where is the driving band?

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Smith View Post
            Are we sure this is an ordinance item? Any markings? Where is the driving band?
            thanks alan -

I'm not sure the purpose. someone has said lately while in the service he recalled something towed behind naval vessels in connection with taking some kind of readings....

as mentioned there are no markings and the whole "case" is extremely smooth

Comment

The closest I can come up with is possibly part of a line carrying rocket.

See top image in the attached pic.

Cheers,
              Andy
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by AndyD View Post
                The closest I can come up with is possibly part of a line carrying rocket.

See top image in the attached pic.

Cheers,
                Andy
                hmmmm. thanks; I'm still asking around. maybe the aberdeen proving ground museum guy can help further...

Comment

This looks like a probe from an aircraft,they come in many shapes and sizes with different mountings for various uses.e.g ice particle sensors...i cant post pics but if you do a search on google images you will find similar looking items

Comment

Originally posted by spotter View Post
                    This looks like a probe from an aircraft,they come in many shapes and sizes with different mountings for various uses.e.g ice particle sensors...i cant post pics but if you do a search on google images you will find similar looking items
                    deep bow your direction, spotter! will snoop about further...

as these probes aren't ordnance, albeit they are cool-looking, have they any value? cheers, david

Comment

inimicus,,im not positively identifieng this as a probe/sensor,but like some of the others have said it doesnt look ordnance related ,to me it was one of those "im sure ive seen something similar before" type items
                      No idea on value but its still a nice curiosity
                      Last edited by spotter; 06-19-2008, 11:35 AM.

Comment

sheath

looks like a sheath for a temperature probe for saltwater marine engineering applications. Being brass it is sw corrosion resistant and great heat transfer capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by navalgunner View Post
                          looks like a sheath for a temperature probe for saltwater marine engineering applications. Being brass it is sw corrosion resistant and great heat transfer capabilities.
                          interesting reax as well - not as sexy as a true ordnance item then, but not bad to look at for sure. thanks gents!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X