Shell ID Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shell ID Needed

I picked this up the weekend with a Pickelhaube helmet. It was brought back from Germany by a Canadian soldier after WW1. I'm not sure what it is or what country of origin it's from. There are some faint markings I cannot make out, but the year 1915 is visable. I think it is just the warhead. I'm hoping it's German, but a positive ID would be nice.
    Attached Files

More.
    Attached Files

Comment

The top.
      Attached Files

Comment

Bottom.
        Attached Files

Comment

Side view.
          Attached Files

Comment

The bottom of the shell.
            Attached Files

Comment

Steve,
              Does the top brass part remove?

It looks like a fuze cover to me,if it does come off and there is a fuze underneath, it will identify the nationality of your projectile.

The ring with the screw in it looks very much to me like it's an adaptor ring for a number 80 or number 85 fuze,which was normally used with the British 18 pounder.

Any chance of any measurements,length (to the bottom of the fuze adaptor) and the diameter (above the driving band) will help identify your projectile.

Kind regards,
              Andy

Comment

I had a closer look at the engraving and the number 18 is on there, along with some initials which don't look German to me. I removed the screw at the top and unscrewed the head. There is a hole in the middle, that's all. Is the brass casing missing here? What is something like this worth? I can try and get some measurments tomorrow.

Comment

Andy has alot more info then I do on this early stuff but IMO:

1. 18 pounder projectile, without cartridge and stick proppellant, probably Live IMO.

2. Definitly Unfired, thus probabaly unarmed, with possible live filler, which could be due to its early period Amatol or picric acid (warning: stability can be touchy!) esp picric acid reaction to metal that can occur. Maybe TNT as well but commonly it was as far as i know (maybe andy can confim) mostly Amatol and picric in those early days.

3. I agree with andy on possible fuze cover. Underneath will be probably Point detonated or powder train time combustible fuze.

4. Role, could be HE (high explosive effect) or shrapnel (carrier with ball bearings), a flash tube and a base low explosive "pot" to kick out the load through the nose.

Best,

pete

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                    Andy has alot more info then I do on this early stuff but IMO:

1. 18 pounder projectile, without cartridge and stick proppellant, probably Live IMO.

2. Definitly Unfired, thus probabaly unarmed, with possible live filler, which could be due to its early period Amatol or picric acid (warning: stability can be touchy!) esp picric acid reaction to metal that can occur. Maybe TNT as well but commonly it was as far as i know (maybe andy can confim) mostly Amatol and picric in those early days.

3. I agree with andy on possible fuze cover. Underneath will be probably Point detonated or powder train time combustible fuze.

4. Role, could be HE (high explosive effect) or shrapnel (carrier with ball bearings), a flash tube and a base low explosive "pot" to kick out the load through the nose.

Best,

pete
                    Thanks guys. A few questions. Is there any danger in having it in my house. I mean I`m hearing live here. I assummed this would be inert. Does this have any value among collectors. Thanks, Steve

Comment

Because of the unknown worst case risks with this kind of ordnance and legalities of live EO in the home, I would call the relevant authority and go from there. They wont ding you for being honest. IMO.

Also on another note I assume no legal responsability in these posts, nor can the forum.

Best,

Pete
                      Last edited by pete; 04-03-2008, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Steve,is the projectile empty?

If it is and there's no fuze You 'll be ok!

Cheers,
                        Andy

Comment

Steve if that projo is empty it will be an absolutley beautiful peice mate Sorry I did not say that earlier.

Best,

Pete

Comment

When you unscrew the head, there is a hole in the middle of the main body. It does not look like anything is in there. I'm on the road but when I return I'll take it apart for a better look and post some pictures. I know people collect ordanance. What's the rarity or value of a pice like this in that section of the hobby?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X