Translating German ordnance manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Translating German ordnance manuals

I am trying to translate German manuals i have on mines, my favorite subject. I want to find out if there is anything different to how they set and laid mines.
    I have found, but its not really clear that the twin adaptor for the s-mine 35 has a 2mm grub screw that helps with ignition, but letters elude me for translation.
    Translating is a piece of cake these days with the help of the internet but i am having trouble with the text in the early manuals that show it in a Gothic type text. What looks like a capitol B is in fact a v. A capital 3 is a z. Some letter that looks like j is in fact a small cased z. An Uncrossed f is in fact an s. A fancy looking capital U is in fact an a, etc etc .There is one letter that looks like a k but it doesn't come out in the translation. There is a correct looking k that is also there, so i don't think the other is one is a k.
    In the later war years this writing changes to the normal modern looking text but there is one word that looks like an odd capital B amongst the lower case words. I am not sure if WW2 German word meanings spelling, grammar have change since the war. Is there a table or info about, to translate the words etc Any thoughts from forum members.
    Last edited by type91; 03-21-2008, 09:06 AM. Reason: grammer

German language

Little has changed in the language since the war that would affect translating military manuals, although there have been spelling changes that don't create any problems--three "sss" together as opposed to two at one time as an example. When dealing with Fraktur practice is the best way to become proficient as one starts to easily recognize letters and combinations that commonly occur like "sch". The slight difference between "f" and "s" is easily discerned. Certainly there is an enormous amount of English that has become a part of the spoken language.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
    X