Dug Ordnance Battlefield Relics & Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dug Ordnance Battlefield Relics & Questions

Just thought I'd post some pix of some of the more interesting ordnance I've found in Europe over the years.

Can anyone identify the larger fuzes? I believe the one fuze to be from a US 75mm shell. The more deteroriated fuze was found inside the Abbaye Ardenne years ago before the grounds were renovated.

My favourite is probably the 9mm bullet stuck in a tree knot. I found this in the woods of the Ginkel Heath near Arnhem. The Piat detonator fuze container was also found nearby.

The German rifle ammo was found all together on the top of an old trench in the Reichswald, untouched and left where they had been discarded.

Can anyone tell if the 60mm mortar tail is German or Allied?

There is also what I believe to be the projectile from a German 3.5cm flak.

Ordnamce isn't one of my strong points so any help in identifying some of these things would be great.

Thanks,

Konrad

the 3,7cm round is for the 3,7cm SK c/30 Naval gun. The small container made from Zinc with the fuze in it is for the british PIAT.

Comment

Nice stuff you've found there. I personally wouldn't touch the fuses and I urge you to either get rid of them or be very careful. Obviously, they didn't explode, so they could very well still be full of unstable HE.
      Who knows what prevented it from detonating, and 60+ years of rust.....who knows what could happen.

Comment

The fuzes look fine to me apart from the piat one..They are typical condition for expended blown fuzes.The piat fuze is not expended,,also the rounds with the rusted in projectiles should be disposed of properly

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys..

...the artillery fuse is dead and was expended..You can clearly see that the charge did it's thing and the shell it was attached to after firing exploded, the fuse being thrown..The fuse itself survived more or less..a corrosion hole has eaten right into the core.

The piat detonator is also expended...the tube is empty inside and harmless.

Unless I take a hammer or throw the live 7.92 rounds into a fire they pose no threat sitting on a shelf..

Konrad

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X