Teller mine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teller mine

I have an interesting teller mine. It is a WW2 German type but somebody told me that actually it is a copy...so not German eventhough its a German design and even has German stencils on it designating the type!

The story I got with this tellermine is that it was US made in WW2 for the Army Corps of Engineers as a practice mine for recognition purposes, but the cool thing is that you can also take it apart (remove the pressure plate and fuses) so its training aid on how to defuse these!!
    Are these rare? What is something like this worth?
    Thanks Nick
    Attached Files
    Last edited by NickG; 12-29-2007, 01:59 PM.

Nice! The Corps of Engineers didn't make many of these, did they? They have to be kind of scarce.

Comment

Originally posted by NickG View Post
      It is a WW2 German type but somebody told me that actually it is a copy...so not German eventhough its a German design and even has German stencils on it designating the type!
      I have seen some of the US training dummies, but none had german stencils, and all were painted in olive - so IMO yours is a true german one.

Comment

even better

oh even better! I was always told it was a US produced copy/training aid... but if real that's perfectly fine with me! Thanks guys!

Comment

Here is (another model) of an US produced training dummy:
          Attached Files

Comment

Nick, I have one similar to yours.....I've been told the same thing.....That it was a training mine......Because it didn't have contractor's codes, waffenamts, etc.....But, I believe mine is original German made.....Bodes

Comment

no waffenamts

Interesting comment! The lack of waffenamt markings would be an indicator to me that its a (non German made) training aid...

Comment

Originally posted by MauserKar98k View Post
                Nice! The Corps of Engineers didn't make many of these, did they? They have to be kind of scarce.
                They actually made tons of them. I think there were two types that were boxed together. In the 1980s they found a lot of them that were stored at Ft. irwin, Ca. A friend of mine bought a carload of them many years ago at a gunshow in Texas. But they aren't all that common anymore. Jim

Comment

what does the base look like?, the US made ones have thinner steel and the threads are not metric

Comment

Originally posted by djpool View Post
                    They actually made tons of them. I think there were two types that were boxed together. In the 1980s they found a lot of them that were stored at Ft. irwin, Ca. A friend of mine bought a carload of them many years ago at a gunshow in Texas. But they aren't all that common anymore. Jim
                    Jim, you are 100% correct US Army Corps of Eng.. Training Mine... I had a ton of them in the early 80s could not give them away, now they are desirable collector items in their own right,, There was a M-35 model as well, and also Japanese ordnance set, consisting of mines and grenades.......BILL

Comment

I also believe these were US made training copies and they were a common site at shows in the 80's & early 90's like those "pink" smocks
                      I paid no more than $20.00 apiece for mine and they did come in all models IMO
                      As Gary noted the thread pitch is US standard (9/16-12 NC).

The closest metric size is 14/2.5 on the US made copies (MO)

__________________________________________________ _______________
                      Cheers Steve
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by djpool View Post
                        I stand corrected. I should have known that we would have made lots of these so our guys could practice with them.

Comment

Originally posted by SJP View Post
                          I also believe these were US made training copies and they were a common site at shows in the 80's & early 90's like those "pink" smocks
                          I paid no more than $20.00 apiece for mine and they did come in all models IMO
                          As Gary noted the thread pitch is US standard (9/16-12 NC).

The closest metric size is 14/2.5 on the US made copies (MO)

__________________________________________________ _______________
                          Cheers Steve
                          Steve,

Thanks for the pic. The set consisted of 3 mines not 2.can't remember what the box/case looks like anymore. Visually they look exactly like the German mines and make for a nice display.WR Jim

Comment

Jim, I don't recall ever seeing how they were shipped either and I never ran across the M35 variation.They do make good props.
                            __________________________________________________ ______________
                            Cheers Steve

Comment

Tellermine 43

I am new to this board, and I am trying to post my first message, I hope I will get it right !!!!

I have purchased a Inert German Tellermine 43 , with No stenceling.

I would like to paint the stenceling back on it, so my question is does Anybody have a Correct stencil for sale that can be used to get the correct lettering needed for the T.M.i. 43 ??

P.S. Cant figure out how to post Pictures ??????

Halftrack
                              01-26-2014
                              Last edited by Halftrack; 01-26-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X