German 20mm shell fuse ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

German 20mm shell fuse ID

Hi Guys, here is a 20mm shell fuse I picked up last weekend in France. It is marked "AZ38" and 42. Can anyone please give me more details of which rounds these were used on?
    For more details about my trip, go to this thread in the association members only forum:

http://216.40.238.215/~admin1/forums...threadid=22863

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Files

Waffenampt markings.
    Attached Files

Comment

interesting fuze. apparently it has detonated? I have a decent collection of 20mm cannon rounds, but do not find this style of fuze on any of mine.
      I have az1502 zz1505 az1528 kpfz1502f and az48 fuzes. it most closely resembles the az48 aluminum body fuze I have which is on a flak38 H.E. 1944 dated round.

Comment

Hi Ade,

What you have there is actually a fuze for the anti-tank hollow charge shells of 7.5cm to 10.5cm cannon. An example of a round that used this fuze is the 8.8cm Gr. 39 Hl. Patr. for the Tiger's KwK36. You have the aluminum version- there was a steel one too that has a long tapered tip. As far as I know, it was only used by HEAT rounds. If you'd like to email me, I can send you some images of the rounds that used the AZ38.

Matt

Comment

Hi Matt, thanks very much for the info. I made the fatal mistake of assuming that it was a 20mm fuse just guessing at the size opps]
          Please drop me a line with the images. My email address is:
          asummerof44@aol.com
          Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X