Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WW1 Artillery Shell

Hi Guys,

Whilst Firearms and stuff any my thing, I thought some of you might be interested in this shell, My Father in Law pulled out of the shed after dinner tonight. He says is German WW1

I was using his magifying glasses to check my EK markings and he got all excited lol. And couldnt wait to show me.

Any input appreciated

Rick
    Attached Files

Other Side
    Attached Files

Comment

bottom
      Attached Files

Comment

side
        Attached Files

Comment

body, paint all over it

Comment

I cant really say. Looks WW1 although I maybe wrong, Ive never seen shells with that type of 'glyph' on the head.

Comment

Hi Spooner,

Ordnance is my thing actually, albeit WWII mainly. I'm not familiar with the round exactly, but I'd bet it wasn't German- at least not used by the German army. Those characters look Arabic or something- perhaps the shell was made for export and then not sent when the war broke out (I've seen WWII 7.5cm shells that had been manufactured for export to Afganistan- German type w/ Arabic markings). The shell has been fired too- you can tell by the rifling grooves in the driving band- so it's probably a training round. The white paint supports this idea.

Matt

Comment

Thanks for the info, Is the most bizarre looking round i have seen, My Father in law has it from my wifes grandfather along with 2 really nice trench art ashtrays, made of shell bottoms,

1 says 1914 Berdorf 660

Comment

the other says 1916 Freid Krupp AG Sp255 15

An interesting point is the difference in thickness of shell between 1914 and 1916

Comment

Thats a very interesting item! The numers are arabic, but the fuse on the 77 mm grenade looks like a german Doppelzünder 92. This was maybe a shrapnel-grenade. Can you remove the fuse from the grenade and can you remove the grenade from the cartridge?

The bottom of the cartridge looks like it is marked with ERFURT. Is this right?

Comment

looks like a turkish shell with similar configaration to my 1916 english shell.the timing mech at the top is very similar

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X