Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grenade markings question

Hello

Can somebody tell me what this marking stand for?
    Thanks for the help.
    Attached Files

Hi Nick,

I assume you're talking about the white ink eagle, yes? It's a 'Waffenamt' mark- the military Ordnance Department acceptance mark that says the weapon is up to par. 'Wa.A' of course stands for 'Waffen Amt' and the number is the particular office that inspected this weapon. It's an early one with a full eagle and Hakenkreuz- very nice.

Matt

Comment

Nick,

Matt is totally correct. This is a Waffen Amt. marking. It means that the weapon was accepted into service by the German army. The number below the eagle will be the number assigned to a particular inspection office for the maker of the weapon. In other words, if you find another grenade by this same maker and year, it will most likely have the same Waffen Amt. number on it.

However some makers will have more than one inspectors number, and some makers changed inspectors during the war. Example is Mauser, Obendorf. Early pistols from this maker that were accepted by the army will be marked "eagle 655". This proof mark was changed around 1941 to "eagle 135".

I can't read the maker code, otherwise I could tell you who made this weapon.

Matt

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X