griffinmilitaria

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BrandKugel 551 (r) - Incendiary cluster bomb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BrandKugel 551 (r) - Incendiary cluster bomb?

These two items recently came up for sale and were labeled as BrandKugel 551 (r) incendiary cluster bombs. I searched the web, and my books on German bombs and ordnance, but could not find reference to these at all. According to the sellers description, they were "filled with white phosphorus and dropped from AB70 and AB250 drop containers".

Are these BrandKugel 551 (r) incendiary cluster bombs? Does anyone have any reference drawings or other material they can post about them?

Also, if they are named correctly, what did the (r) stand for, Romania? Russia?

Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WWIIBuff; 04-17-2020, 10:33 PM.

It is a Russian incendiary cluster bomb AZh-2 ( Авиационная Зажигательная ампула АЖ-2 ), also used as ammunition for emergency improvised infantry thrower Ampulomet ( 125-мм ампуломёт образца 1941 года ).
    Contained 1 liter of flammable mixture KS (80% phosphorus / 20% sulfur) ampoules existed made of sheet metal or glass.

http://armedman.ru/bombardirovochnoe...2-i-azh-4.html

https://fishki.net/1906222-oruzhie-ampulomyot.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ampulomet

Comment

Ah, perfect. Thanks klarkon! I thought they looked about the same size as the glass balls I have for the Ampulomet.

I tried searching for Russian cluster bombs as well, but did not find this one. Did the Germans capture some of these and re-designate them as Brandkugel 551 (r) perhaps? I know they were known for doing that with other ordnance and weapons items.

Comment

Russian pilots hated these ampoules and did not want to fly with them, because it was enough only one hit by the handguns to the bomb container.................... and the plane was cremated with all its crew...............
        AVK-1, AK-2, AK-2U and AK-2UM dispensers were used.

Comment

Originally posted by klarkon View Post
          Russian pilots hated these ampoules and did not want to fly with them, because it was enough only one hit by the handguns to the bomb container.................... and the plane was cremated with all its crew...............
          AVK-1, AK-2, AK-2U and AK-2UM dispensers were used.

Wow, what a horrible way to die. Do you think they did any better in the Ampulomet than the glass ampoules did?

Comment

Comment

It didn't matter if they were made of glass or sheet metal, the Ampulomet crew had only 10 pieces.......... From this we can get an idea of ​​the expected service life in combat.
              From russian sources - balls often failed by fall in soft mud and snow and and then the Germans threw it back into Russian positions.

Comment

Not a very well thought-out weapon I guess. And the Russian officers probably did not value the lives of those gun crews either.

If the Germans did re-designate and use them, I wonder how they were used. Probably not the same way the Russians were using them.
                Last edited by WWIIBuff; 04-18-2020, 04:28 AM.

Comment

I know nothing about the fact that the Germans were used this scrap in combat, captured pieces ended up in military museums in the Reich.............
                  We have two pieces left after the Germans in our museum.

https://www.valka.cz/SOV-125-mm-ampu...vz-1941-t26894

Comment

I know nothing about the fact that the Germans were used this scrap in combat, captured pieces ended up in military museums in the Reich.............
                    We have two pieces left after the Germans in our museum.

https://www.valka.cz/SOV-125-mm-ampu...vz-1941-t26894

Thanks for the feedback on that klarkon, and thanks for the link, there are some nice pictures there of the Ampulomet I have not seen before.

Also very interesting to hear about the Germans having museums with captured Russian arms, and seeing the tag from the Prag Heeresmuseum.

Comment

I completely forgot to post this. I know it is a horrible copy, and almost illegible, but it came from the website of the dealer who sold these. I have no idea what this page is originally from. Anyone? klarkon?
                      Attached Files

Comment

Kennblätter Fremden geräts 50/9 ??? or 50/3 ???

Comment

Thanks klarkon! So the Kennblätter Fremden Geräts was a war-time catalog of foreign weapons and ordnance captured by the Germans. The Russian A-2 Incendiary Ampoules have been listed in this catalog and given the designation Brandkugel 551 (r).

If I am correct, all this means is that they were captured and cataloged, it does not suggest or imply that the weapons were reused by the Germans.

Based on the index I found on-line from Kennblätter Fremden Geräts heft 13 (D 50/13), I would say that the images above are from D 50/3, which is listed in the index as covering "Werfer".
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by WWIIBuff; 04-19-2020, 01:36 PM.

Comment

You're right.
                            I assume the same thing as you do.

Comment

You're right.
                              I assume the same thing as you do.

Much appreciated as always klarkon.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X