Cap tally collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cap tally collection

I came across this collection of cap tallies from a local collector. I think they are are bad, not based on my limited to zero experience, but rather gut feel. I am interested in especially the torpedoboot and Scharnhorst tallie, should they by miracle be good. I know the pics are rubbish, but is there any chance that I should pursue better pics? thanx Jacques
    Attached Files

Torpedoboot 2
    Attached Files

Comment

There’s a possibility for good news,
      Wait for more comments
      Here is two of my Kriegsmarine
      Chay
      Attached Files

Comment

The Tallies you shared are all good. The Scharnhorst, with the photos you provided, makes it believe this is a post war copy. Read up on the Belfast fake.
        The Scharnhorst needs to be full length. A cotton or cellon version Scharnhorst is always going to be subject to being accused of being a copy. Must be full length 110-120cm in length. The fortunate thing is that the copy has one side shorter than the other.

The Block letter tallies you shared are Reichsmarine (post WW1 before WW2) and the gothic/fraktur scrip were of Kriegsmarine origin. These are in general terms. The Bundesmarine and Volksmarine early on, did have fraktur script tallies.

Fortunately, with exception to the Scharnhorst, the tallies are extremely difficult to copy/reproduce. They have a distinct reverse stitching. This goes for all the tallies.

Tallies/Mützenbänder are wonderful items to collect. They are relatively inexpensive compared to some other items like cufftitles, or other unit insignia.

The expensive tallies are usually ones that are obscure units or units that has a limited service or cadre of personnel assigned.

Thanks for sharing. There is a great pinned thread about the tallies. Great resource.

Best Regards,
        JustinG

Comment

Original Reichsmarine indeed as Justin says (he's a tally expert).
          When I saw the Scharnhorst I also immediately had to think of the Belfast fake.

Comment

Originally posted by JustinG View Post

Tallies/Mützenbänder are wonderful items to collect. They are relatively inexpensive compared to some other items like cufftitles, or other unit insignia.
            Best Regards,
            JustinG
            It depends on the tallies
            S.M.S. LAUTING for 1600 €

BR, Chris

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Banziger View Post
              When I saw the Scharnhorst I also immediately had to think of the Belfast fake.
              The stitching pattern on that Scharnhorst is indeed that of the H.M.S. Belfast souvenir shop reproduction.

Best regards,
              ---Norm
              Attached Files

Comment

Norm that’s a great comparison!
                The original matches my Kriegsmarine has in the top example
                Chay
                Attached Files

Comment

Thanx guys, very informative and much appreciated. J

Comment

Originally posted by Gensui View Post
                    It depends on the tallies
                    S.M.S. LAUTING for 1600 €

BR, Chris
                    Betcha that tally is still for sale. At €1600 it will sit for many years.

I agree, there are tallies that we all have paid a bit of money for. When I was finishing off my Zerstörer flottille, I know what I would be willing to pay for a Unterseebootstender Mosel. (The only one I am missing from my Unterseeboot (Flottille, tender begleitschiff) collection having at least one example of.

Best Regards,
                    JustinG

Comment

I'm still saving Money for it!

No, just kidding! That's even for me way too much for a tally, which could be worn by approx. 11 sailors.

The point is, that some tallies shown up only once in a lifetime (Ayesha, tallies from the SONDERKOMMANDO, LAZARETTSCHIFFE, tallies, which started not with SMS, but with SMH, SMD, SM...).

BR,
                      Chris

Comment

There are some real rare ones. The S.M.S Lauting had a crew complement of 11 sailors at a time period you state; I have been researching this using both English and German pages, how were you able to find the crew complement? Was this from a publication or an order from the Marine command stating the crew standard complement for a vessel under this class? Thanks for your time.

Best Regards,
                        JustinG

Comment

Well, my sources are very limited, too, due to the fact of this limited persons.

According to my knwledge, some documents survived in the Military Archive in Freiburg/Germany (BArch, RM 3/3385; Aktenzeichen: XII.3.1.-231).
                          Basic Information can be found here: https://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?178247

The number of "11" popped-up at the Gröner book "Die deutschen Kriegsschiffe".

BR,
                          Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X