VirtualGrenadier

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KM enlisted overseas cap -- known maker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KM enlisted overseas cap -- known maker?

Hello All,

Is this a known maker of KM enlisted overseas caps?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Assuming you refer to the 'HBB', these are in my opinion the initials of the original wearer, not a maker mark.
      Cap itself look ok from what I can see.
      Martin

Comment

Oh, I see. Honestly, I thought the "HBB" was a maker's mark. Thank you.

Comment

i agree DD ..the HBB IMHO is maker oriented..Billbert

Comment

Yes, because how would someone's initials be in the same color and "font" as the size marking.

Comment

Well, believe it or not, white paint is fairly common...and wouldn't have been not too difficult to find for a Kriegsmarine sailor.
              Surely you can see the difference between the stamped numbers (sharp edges etc.) and the hand applied letters (rather wobbly)? Look at that H, surely not 'stamped' as a manufacturer would do.
              He didn't do a bad job adding his initials, but still clearly hand-applied IMHO.
              Anyway, it's just my opinion, not really fussed either way. Actually think initials are nicer to have than a maker's mark...
              Cheers,
              Martin

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Simon View Post
                Well, believe it or not, white paint is fairly common...and wouldn't have been not too difficult to find for a Kriegsmarine sailor.
                Surely you can see the difference between the stamped numbers (sharp edges etc.) and the hand applied letters (rather wobbly)? Look at that H, surely not 'stamped' as a manufacturer would do.
                He didn't do a bad job adding his initials, but still clearly hand-applied IMHO.
                Anyway, it's just my opinion, not really fussed either way. Actually think initials are nicer to have than a maker's mark...
                Cheers,
                Martin
                +1.

Cheers,Morten.

Comment

HBB is a maker mark

Hi Douglas,
                  HBB is the maker Heinrich Balke of Bremen!
                  These are NOT hand written letters.
                  Fantastic cap by the way... I have one in my collection too.

Comment

Heinrich Balke Mützenfabrik Bremen did make various caps for the german wehrmacht, but I have never seen any caps or hats from Heinrich Balke were the makers mark/logo is only initials like this.

I have added a picture of a bowler hat from the 1920s were the logo is a key with the initials "H B" which i believe stands for Heinrich Balke.

In the next picture you can see the same logo (key with the initials "H B"), but now it also says "Heinrich Balke Mützenfabrik Bremen". I'm not sure what year this cap/hat has been made

The caps I have seen that has been made during the war has been stamped "Heinrich Balke Mützenfabrik Bremen" + size and year it was made. I have added a picture with that logo as well (I have many more if needed). The key with the initials "H B" is now gone from the logo.

I also added a picture of the logo used in 1962 and it is almost identical to the logo they used during the war.

The company are still making caps and hats today so you can contact them and ask if they have made your cap. They will recognize the logo (initials HBB) if they have used it on their caps and hats.

Regards,
                    André
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the continued information, guys.

Do you think it would actually be possible to contact this hat maker, and they would be able to determine if the markings that I originally showed were theirs?

Comment

Originally posted by DouglasDwight View Post
                        Do you think it would actually be possible to contact this hat maker, and they would be able to determine if the markings that I originally showed were theirs?
                        It is worth a try. If you send them a picture of the markings, they would hopefully be able to tell you if they have ever marked their hats like that or not.

Kai Balke started a new company after Heinrich Balke Mützenfabrik was sold in 2000, but he knows the history of the old company and most likely has documentations on the different logos used on their hats and caps from the beginning to the end
                        https://www.kai-balke.de/

Comment

Originally posted by U-Boot Kapitan View Post
                          Hi Douglas,
                          HBB is the maker Heinrich Balke of Bremen!
                          These are NOT hand written letters.
                          Fantastic cap by the way... I have one in my collection too.
                          Maybe you can post an image of your cap with similar 'stamp' so we can all compare them..?

Comment

Thanks, Martin. I didn't think the stampings were hand-done.

Comment

That is fine mate, very well. A stamp it is then.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X