Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with KM photo colorization project

Hello All,

A friend of great skill is helping me with a photo colorization project, on a photo of a KM officer(?) in my collection. I know very little about KM uniforms, focusing more on badge collecting. But I thought this would make for a neat display piece along side of a Minesweeper badge.

Attached is the original photo, in black and white.

Attached also in the first pass at colorization. I've talked with him about the badge, dagger, and dagger hangers.

My question...what color should/would the gloves have been? Brown leather doesn't seem right to me, but I honestly don't know what would be most appropriate.

Further, how do the should boards look? Hopefully some experienced KM uniform collectors can fill me in, as I don't rightly know.

Finally, while I'm posting, can anyone tell me this individual's rank? Would he be an officer, or more like an NCO?

Sorry for my ignorance; like I said, KM uniforms are outside of my depth.

Would appreciate any input, before the gentleman helping me makes any corrections.

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

First draft...
    Attached Files

Comment

White, bluish-grey and black was often used, but many used their own gloves that was private bought so they did vary in colour.

I don't think the colour that your friend has added is that bad. Maybe I would go for a bit lighter brownish colour and not so much red colour.

Regards,
      André

Comment

I would think the scabbard on the dagger should be gold in color,
        similar to the Pommel.
        Cool project.

Comment

I agree that the scabbard should be gold as the pommel. Now it looks like a dagger without scabbard.
          Also the minesweeper badge should have some more colour to it, dark blue on the sea/waves and white on the water column.

Comment

Thanks, guys. Those were things that I noticed also. What about the boards / shoulder straps?

Comment

Originally posted by DouglasDwight View Post
              Finally, while I'm posting, can anyone tell me this individual's rank? Would he be an officer, or more like an NCO?
              He's an officer candidate ranked Fähnrich.

What about the boards / shoulder straps?
              His shoulder cords should be silver.

My question...what color should/would the gloves have been? Brown leather doesn't seem right to me, but I honestly don't know what would be most appropriate.
              If he went by the regulations, his gloves were grey.

Comment

Thank you, HPL2008!

Comment

Wanted to share the final version:
                  Attached Files

Comment

If anyone would like to have a photograph colorized, please contact me, and I'll provide you with this individuals's contact info!

Comment

I think that looks pretty awesome! Your mate did a good job!
                      Martin

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X