Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with U-995 crew member

Good evening gents,

About 4 years ago I bought this white jumper from a seller on ebay located in Poland.

He listed it as nothing special, just a white sailor's blouse, but he showed a pic of the name tag and service number similar to what I've taken here. Before I bought it with his 90 Euro Buy-it-Now I checked the name out on the U-boat crew lists via the Historisches Marinearchiv.de website and found out that OberBootsmann Knop was a DKiG recipient on U-995.

I contacted the U-995 museum at Laboe, but they were totally uncooperative, stating they only had technical information on the boat, and nothing on the crew. I also contacted the moderator of the U-995 website, but received no reply.

I know there is a book on U-995 and I would buy it if I knew there was info on the crew. I asked a seller in Germany for information on the book, but again, never received a reply.

If anybody has this book can you please tell me if there is information on Obtsm Knop in it, or the actions that led to him and two other crew members being awarded the DKiG on 27 Mar 45. In that case I will buy it.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Best regards!

Bob
    Attached Files

hey Bob
    woow what a deal for 90 euro ,sorry i cant help you with any info ,but thats realy very historical item congrats and good luck with your research

Comment

Originally posted by wehl View Post
      hey Bob
      woow what a deal for 90 euro ,sorry i cant help you with any info ,but thats realy very historical item congrats and good luck with your research
      Thanks for the feedback Wehli

It's interesting that this blouse must have basically been hung-up as it has his Bootsmannsmaat rank and no badge loops. If I could get some career info on him I could then possibly date this based on his promotions.

Best regards!

Bob

Comment

hey bob
        +1!!

Comment

Very nice !

You can write into the German navy forum. Use the small pencil in front of the name in the database or best is to contact the WAST to receive a copy of his personal files.
          wast.de/en/tracing-request/private-matters-research.html

You may have to wait 1 year for an answer but the best chance to get good information.

Regards
          Christian

Comment

Originally posted by compressore View Post
            Very nice !

You can write into the German navy forum. Use the small pencil in front of the name in the database or best is to contact the WAST to receive a copy of his personal files.
            wast.de/en/tracing-request/private-matters-research.html

You may have to wait 1 year for an answer but the best chance to get good information.

Regards
            Christian
            hmm to ask WAST abaut any soldiers files you has to confirm first you are family member . i know what im talking abaut

Comment

Thanks all for the replies and comments.

I have experience as well writing to the Dienststelle (WASt) and yes, you are correct in that you are supposed to indicate family relationship, however, when you tell them it is for historical research they will provide basic career and award information. This is only the case when the service member has been dead for 30 or more years. It has to do with a German privacy law.

Does anybody here know if Host Bredow's work at the U-boat archive (Cuxhaven) has been continued after his passing, and, back to my original question, does anybody have the book on U-995?

Thanks again to all who have come by to check this out, and to those who have commented.

Happy Memorial Day to all our US members and respect to all good soldiers from all nations who have fallen in war.

Regards!

Bob

Comment

Yes. The u boat archive is still working and they are responding to requests.
                For the WAST it's always worth a try...and chances are higher if you are not living in Germany and write a short and good reasoning why looking for the information.

Comment

Hello, i have the Book U-995

Here are the Photos that displayed Knop

Hopes this helps a little

Best wishes

kfs
                  Attached Files

Comment

last
                    Attached Files

Comment

super fotos ,im sure Bob will be verrrrrrry happy to see

Comment

Always nice to put a history and a face to uniform items

Comment

super fotos ,im sure Bob will be verrrrrrry happy to see
                          I can't stop smiling. Thanks a ton for going through the trouble to do this kfs. I will add you to my list of people I owe beers to

Ironically, a few days ago I asked a seller of the book in Germany about Knop and he told me there were some really nice pictures of him and the ceremony in it so I bought it, and the "Weltkrieg Marine" issue that discusses the last sortie of U-995. I should have them next week. These pictures exceed my expectations and I am very happy.

Thanks again kfs, I'll be looking at these all afternoon

Have a great weekend!

vr

Bob

Comment

Received my copy of U-995 today.

Here are a couple of the images that Mirco (kfs) provided, but now scanned out of the book and image enhanced. OberBootsmann Knop is on the left at the ceremony, and upper right among the crew.

Nice selection of badges he's wearing:

* DKiG
                            * EK I
                            * EK II
                            * U-Boot Combat Clasp
                            * DRL Badge
                            Attached Files

Comment

realy nice Bob top find it was i have to say history talk

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X