Paperweight for Cruiser Deutschland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paperweight for Cruiser Deutschland?

Hello! I bring you guys an odd artifact: a paperweight for the cruiser Deutschland.

It is apparently made of marble.

What do you guys think? I first thought that this was trench art of some sort, but being mounted on marble...is kinda high-class for a marble mounting.
    Could this have belonged to an officer or be was a commemorative item for the launching of the ship?
    On the other hand, could this have been a modern fake or an item to commemorate an officer who served on the ship?

I'm just curious because it does stick out for its uniqueness.

Thanks!

Saw a similar one

Hi, I saw a similar one several years ago, I had a cabinet in an antique centre (UK) and the owner asked me to make a small repair. It was a U Boat on marble, The boat was bronze ( about 9" long) and it was bolted to the marble. there were no makers marks and in my view had come from a home workshop mould. The owner bought it from a walk in, he asked loads of people about it but got no information. I can't remember the U Boat number but it was WW1 and had been sunk. Good luck with your search. ( He sold it for around £90 I think )

Comment

Originally posted by essenbob View Post
      Hi, I saw a similar one several years ago, I had a cabinet in an antique centre (UK) and the owner asked me to make a small repair. It was a U Boat on marble, The boat was bronze ( about 9" long) and it was bolted to the marble. there were no makers marks and in my view had come from a home workshop mould. The owner bought it from a walk in, he asked loads of people about it but got no information. I can't remember the U Boat number but it was WW1 and had been sunk. Good luck with your search. ( He sold it for around £90 I think )

Oh! Do you have a picture of the U-boat one? Was it for a specific U-boat?

I still can't find a lot of information about it either. It seems too nice to be a modern fake.

No maker's marks really don't help as well

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
      X