No announcement yet.

Recent Coastal Art Side Cap Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why yes, quite sure. But thanks for your interesting comments.

Comment

To be honest i have no problem with a hand sewn one, and yes it seems to be period done, but i'm always fascinated about the outcome if and why something is 100% authentic, after 30 years i'm still have "problems" with this, whats wrong with me, should i have to buy a augur as well

Comment

I also have no problems with hand sewn insignias, but this combination is rare because the soutache is over the cockade. I have two KA side caps with hand sewn cockade and machine sewn soutache, but in both this is not over the cockades. Also in both the interior seam is in feldgrau thread not yellow. These two points are what makes me think that the insignias are re-sewn.
        Attached Files
        Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
        Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

Thank you, an interesting point about the bobbin thread. From your photos I think one of your caps is in the Heer cut and likely both of your examples are made earlier. In hand I suspect you would be more comfortable with the example posted for discussion.

Comment

Mike, you are right, one of them is a M34 cap marked from KM depot and with naval insignias.
            Collector of Kriegsmarine and Küstenartillerie items

Regards
            Eduardo

Collecting Kriegsmarine !!!: http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=725610

sigpic "Deutsche Kriegsmarine"

Comment

That's a rare one, always interested in seeing more photos of these types (and have never seen an officer's)

Comment

Christian, I wasn't suggesting the combination of hand sewn and machine sewn was uncommon and certainly not saying that a KA sidecap shouldn't have a soutache. All I was trying to say is that a machine sewn soutache on top of a hand sewn cockade is something that is not seen often, or in fact, hardly ever.
                If anyone has another example of that, KA or Heer, I'd be interested to see the photos.
                As a separate issue, as this handsewing then must have occurred in the factory, the sewing near the head of the eagle seems a little amateuristic to me for someone doing several of these every day. But like I said earlier, this stuff can be debated endlessly and there is no way to say for sure eitherway.
                I'd be happy to have a cap like this one in my collection regardless.
                Martin

Originally posted by 48RMC View Post
                Hi Martin,
                what's so strange about the combi configuration concerning these emblems??? Why shouldn't have this side cap a soutache?? As far as i can see it's not dated at all so why not a soutache??? If i look at the cloth which this cap has been made of it can be manufactured in the prewar years but also later on. Of course it's always a pain in the ass to say it's original applied or not but after 65 years things will be changed in a "positive" way, hand or machine stitched or what's so ever. I'm always really sceptic about this subject and wouldn't pay that much for a so called "original" but that's me,
                Cheerio Christian

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 4 users online. 0 members and 4 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X